Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Creative ways to get my 3 month old cockatiel to eat veggies/pellets?

707 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  LuvAnimals 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm a new cockatiel owner, I got my little Obi about a month ago & he's just the sweetest thing! I introduced a couple of veggies to him within the first week that I got him, and initially he absolutely loved broccoli! I served him other veggies as well & he would nibble on them a bit, but broccoli had most of his attention. But after about a week of trying out different veggies, he didn't seem interested in them at all anymore, including broccoli. I always provide a wide variety of veggies and of many different colors, but he just doesn't bother trying anything anymore, he only eats his seeds. Also, I have been introducing pellets to him and he'll eat them out of my hand all day, but he will never eat them if they're in his food dish. So unless I'm feeding him straight from my palm, he will not touch his pellets. Any creative ideas on how to introduce veggies and pellets differently? Thanks for any advice!

#2 ·
To start with the veggies, you can try making him some chop, and sprinkle his favorite treats on them. (Or you can use seeds to). Another thing you can do is eat veggies in front of him, then offer him some veggie (Not the one you were eating, of course!). That will make him want to eat that veggie (because he saw you eating it) and probably make him take a bite.

And now with pellets. If you have a stand that you can attach a bowl to, then you can try putting some pellets in there. You don't need much. But if you don't have a stand, you can probably just put a bowl somewhere he likes to go, and put a few pellets in there. Don't worry if he doesn't eat it, he'll still have the food in the cage (Make sure your still feeding him the food he normally eats - but don't put the food he normally eats in the bowl with the pellets, leave the food he normally eats in the cage.) If you see your tiel starts eating the pellets from the bowl, then you can try adding some to his normal food bowl in his cage (Don't put to many). If he is eating those, then you can add a little more.

Remember, if your cockatiel isn't eating these, don't force him to! Hope I helped! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.