Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just noticed in my searches that I can't find a list of symptoms or signs to watch out for a cockatiel that has had a crash to make sure they are okay. I've got a bird that doesn't get out much (she has a flight cage) because she tends to fly into the walls and glass. Well, I thought I'd give her a try today as she was itching to get out ... Nope! She has taken a tumble, and is now back in her cage. I tried to sit with her to make sure she was okay, but she is not a hand-reared bird -she was parent reared - so I think this stressed her out more.

She is sitting on a perch in the back of the cage, she's half-dozing and beak grinding. Her breathing was fast earlier but seemed to have slowed down (I'm watching her tail) She is alert, reacting to thinks outside the cage, I was just very concerned when I first put her back in.

I have the emergency vet on my phone in case she suddenly takes a turn for the worst, and I think a checkup with her avian vet would be wise to make sure she has no internal problems. It's a Sunday here, so it's only Out of Hours service, and I don't want to rush her if she is showing no bleeding, is calm and shows no strong signs of internal injury, as the stress of getting her in a carrier and rushing her up would make her worse.

What signs would you advise I look out for in her?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm pretty sure since there is no blood and she's beak grinding, she will be ok. I have a four year old pearl hen that just loves to fly into the kitchen and look out the window. Once in awhile she will over shoot flying a little to fast and smack into the glass! The last time she did it, the crash was pretty hard. I just kept and eye on her for about an hour and everything was fine. I know it's also hard on us bird owners when this happens but we have to allow them flying time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I thought I should update this; she seemed fine, and I will be taking her to the avian vet when they have an available Saturday appointment since she's not had a checkup in a while due to COVID-19

·
Registered
Normal grey split to pied
160 Posts
i highly relate. my 5 months old male kept crashing everywhere. after getting him out a couple of times he became amazing. now he recalls

1 - 5 of 5 Posts