Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... when do birds start talking and whistling? And what encourages them?

Boomer has talked and jabbered since probably a few weeks after I got him. I"m un sure of how old he was, but was told they were recently weaned. (which is how old?)

Well, I received Reno and Cousteau recently, and was told that she'd had Cousteau for almost 2 years. Well, he makes "bird noises" but never anything else, and now I SAW him yesterday do that sexy "wolf whistle" (why do you call it a wolf whistle? I've never heard it called that before coming here) :p

Oh, and he "yhans" a lot. sort of makes me think he's singing in the Oprah! :D Could he just now be deciding to talk? I mean- he lived with Reno, and Reno talks.

:rolleyes: now I know how the "newbes" on the other forum feel when they say "sorry if this is a dumb question...." HAHAHA... so.... yeah.:confused:

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
It's not a dumb question at all. Baby tiels are ussually weaned around 8-12 weeks old. How long have you had him and are you certain he's a boy? Was he vocal before? A new home may put him into a quiet zone until he's comfortable but if he's atleast two then I would say you don't have a boy.Ziggy wasn't vocal for the first couple of weeks and then all *ell broke loose. It all depends. The yawning can be just normal yawing or it can be them clearing the dust from their feathers (from preening).

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I love that name my male sugar glider is named Boomer also:)
Kyliesmom! You have a sugar glider!!! I was soo close to adopting two a few years ago..Still might when I buy a house..a condo with 10 birds and a fish is enough for now.
Sorry RitzieAnn-a bit off topic...

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Some birds just wont whistle, like some won't talk. Others will learn fast, and others take a long time to learn a simple whistle. I guess it just depends on the individual.

As to why is it called a wolf whistle, i've never heard it called anything else.. :p

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well.. I was told that boomer was recently weaned. He looked completely normal, like... hum... he didn't look young or anything... but I know with some animals you can't tell when they're "young". I haven't noticed him grow in size or anything, but he appears to be the same.

Anyway- back to Cousteau! :D I have no idea if he's a girl or boy- and I've mentioned that before in other threads. The gal I got them from, Jasmine, said that her cat used to lay on the cage and Cousteau was "in love" with the cat. and would climb under it, and make lovey noises to the cat. But she didn't mention any other talking or whistling other than being verbally lovey to the cat.

I noticed the other day when I finally caught him whistling... he'd whistle, then yawn and turn his head to the side... whistle again, and yawn. It's really like he's trying to sing and should be saying "LAA LA LALA LAAAAAAA" but of course he says nothing :p And this noise is new. Like in the past week, otherwise I've only seen him cooing like a chicken hen.

Here "he" is.

Preening...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Of course "he" has to be a color that's almost impossible to sex. Hum... has anybody done DNA testing? Anybody (hopefully in the USA) know how much it costs? I'd really love to know....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome. Thanks. I'll look into that. They're at the sitter right now, and we're leaving today.... won't see them again until the 2nd of January.... :(

I already miss them.... Nobody said "goodmorning" to me when I walked by the cage.... :*(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts