Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at my wits end I don't know why this keeps happening! Cosmo flew off and another flight feather he just grew! Came out completely and he is now bleeding AGAIN! I can't see where the bleeding is at this time to put flour on it to stop the bleeding and he won't let me touch him like that to see or put flour on.

He had a very bad feather clipping in the winter and every time he grows a flight feather it comes out! I want him to grow his wings so badly, but every time something happens. I have been trying flight training/recall we had progress until he lost a flight feather now he doesn't want to do it. He keeps flying off at random and loosing a feather, but I don't want to keep him in the cage 24/7.

I don't know what to do! It wasn't a blood feather, so from previous advice I'm going to hope it stops bleeding like someone said it should. I'm going to keep an eye on him, but we are leaving for Pittsburgh in a couple hours for my boyfriend's little brother's birthday. He turned 5 years old (my BF is almost 31 big age difference lol) so I can't just not go.

Help!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Honestly, if he keeps breaking them, letting him fly before they are fully grown in does more harm than good. If you can towel him, you can check him out. Man handling isn't ideal but in situations like this you gotta do what you gotta do.

He should be fine for now. The bleeding will stop, especially if the feather fell out completely. He may be a little sore for a bit, but rest will help with that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Zappy had the exact same problem. I did my best not to let him fly at all until his feathers grew out. He flew when he was spooked, but otherwise, I came to anticipate when something would startle him or when he was preparing for flight. I would definitely towel Cosmo and figure out where the bleeding is coming from. Zappy had a night fright the other night and lost a non-blood feather, but I noticed bleeding on his wing. It turned out that he had nicked a blood feather.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The feather did fall out completely, this happened about a week or two ago. It was a non blood feather like last time and it seemed like it stopped bleeding. He was eating and singing/chirping and his normal self when we left. I might have to stop taking him around the house with me and maybe he is only allowed out on his cage. He has a playtop he loves and he is less spooked up there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think that's a good idea. I only let Zappy be in his play area. I had to kind of duck if I took him somewhere else. He would land precariously and injure himself if he was sitting on my shoulder and took off. He got pretty accustomed to being on the floor and learned not to fly. In fact, he became so comfortable that I had to train him to use his wings (it's more complicated than that and a long story about an incompetent breeder).

Do these injuries seem to happen because Cosmo is landing precariously? Meaning do the feathers fall out mid-flight or when he lands? Zappy was unbalanced for a time. The vet ended up trimming the ends of his flight feathers on one wing so he would have better landings.

·
Registered
507 Posts
When a new feather grows in, it gets very little to no protection from the clipped feathers around it. Unfortunately, breakage is just something that's going to happen when a bad clip is growing out. You have a few options though:

- Clip the new feathers so they're only a little longer than the old ones. This will lower the chance of them breaking, but they may still be too short for him to fly. Leave them a little longer next molt, and so on. This would be the slow but safe approach.

- Pull or have a vet pull some of the clipped flights. They would be pulled in a formation that would give the blood feathers some protection while growing in. This will jump start the process but still leaves him vulnerable to breakage, unfortunately. You'd have to be extremely careful he cannot take flight or hurt himself. I ended up pulling every odd flight from Phoenix, and though we still had some bumps on the way, he's now a happy and fully flighted bird :D

9/30/2014

6/24/2015

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I had him on his cage's playtop today and Mr. Naughty Boy flew off it to land by my feet in the livingroom and walk over to the coffee table to perch himself. We have a glass coffee table and there is a metal bar that goes around near the bottom. He loves hanging out there when we are in the livingroom. I couldn't even be mad at him for wanting to be by me, but I don't know what to do now because he isn't safe up there.

He practically begs to come out and be with us. But I can't control when he is going to fly off. I've been holding him facing close to my chest so he doesn't get the urge to fly off when I'm walking with him on my hand.

I tried to take him to get his feathers that stuck out trimmed before and the idiot guy tried clipping ALL of his feathers on his wing again. He HATES the scissors and sulked at me for a good while after I quickly snipped his broken tail feather sticking out a week ago. The only person I could have help me would be my boyfriend and I would have to be the one holding him and taking all the biting while he clipped the feathers. He has no clue about birds so I would have to tell him what to do. Also Cosmo doesn't bite us and has came to trust us, I'm scared he will become a biter and not trust us if we did that.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do these injuries seem to happen because Cosmo is landing precariously? Meaning do the feathers fall out mid-flight or when he lands? Zappy was unbalanced for a time. The vet ended up trimming the ends of his flight feathers on one wing so he would have better landings.
This time he flew off the bathroom faucet I had him standing on and into the hallway. I'm pretty sure he didn't hit anything during his landing in the hallway. It might of been when he landed because he does use his wings like arms.

Sometimes they come out midflight and the other times it's when he lands or crashes. I'll try to get a picture of his current wing situation tomorrow morning. It's a total mess the guy butchered them and cut feathers he wasn't supposed to.

·
Registered
507 Posts
This is the hot mess Phoenix had going on for a while:

I know what you're going through... just be patient and do what you can to keep him safe. In time it will correct itself. It took us over a year and 15+ broken flight from each wing to get there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh no! Poor Cosmo.

Zappy only holds grudges for an hour or so when I have to towel him for injuries or clippings. I wouldn't worry about Cosmo becoming a biter. I've had to restrain Zappy pretty often, and he still doesn't really bite. Also, I think you can definitely teach/tell your boyfriend what to do. I had someone who was completely green to clipping help me when I had to clip Zap for his own safety. It sounds like that would be a better option than this guy who butchered your poor baby's wings.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He does have a small flight feather growing in on the same side of the one he just lost. I think I'm going to let that one grow and give him a week to heal up on his wing before I trim them. He is going through a long molt basically this whole summer. Am I going to have to keep clipping every flight feather that grows in after? Or could I just leave them be?

Thank you for the reassuring Jaguar it puts me at ease. It's been about 8 months since the horrible wing clip. Cosmo is trained now and there really isn't a need to clip them anymore so I'm not taking him back to that guy who did that. Did Phoenix ever bleed from losing a feather during that period? I'm worried about him bleeding twice in not even 2 week span. I know their little bodies can't take much blood loss.

ZappyZapdos, I haven't ever toweled him. That's what they were doing at the pet shop and he was so scared that day the girl did that to him. He is afraid of towels, I have held him and gave him something to bite when the guy was clipping his wings. I was hoping to get him to somehow trust me to touch him even though he was not hand raised. He will do everything but if a finger or hand comes near him he's like NOPE and turns around

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same. Zappy still has an incident here and there, but it's much better now. One time, he broke/lost over ten at once. You'll get through it!
Oh WOW! I didn't see this before I replied. It's amazing how many feathers they lose! Between breaking and losing feathers and molting since June, I'm surprised I still have a bird with feathers! He looks so different now then back in January. he is a normal grey. He lost all the grey in his face and all his juvinielle feathers, does that make him about a year old? I never got to know how old was he when I got him back in January.

Okay guys deep breaths, deep breaths, I will get through this ;)
Yesterday I was just so upset because he was bleeding again and I hate seeing this happen to my baby. He doesn't even want to fly to my hand now like I taught him because he lost a couple feathers. I just started training him so he flies a hops way out of reach from his cage door on to my hand.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The most Phoenix lost was 7 at a time in a night fright :(

Did Phoenix ever bleed from losing a feather during that period? I'm worried about him bleeding twice in not even 2 week span. I know their little bodies can't take much blood loss.
Not a whole lot - he had one or two pretty bad blood feather breaks, but for the most part, his lost feathers were fully grown ones. Make sure you're comfortable pulling a damaged blood feather so you're prepared should you need to.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Jaguar, These are some helpful suggestions- my Milo has a terrible clip but fortunately it is only on the flight feathers. I had heard about pulling all the affected feathers, but I think I would let a vet do that...He hates me to even extend his wing. Not sure I would be able to have it done either...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The most Phoenix lost was 7 at a time in a night fright :(

Not a whole lot - he had one or two pretty bad blood feather breaks, but for the most part, his lost feathers were fully grown ones. Make sure you're comfortable pulling a damaged blood feather so you're prepared should you need to.
Wow that's a lot at once!

Honestly I won't be able to pull a broken blood feather. I'm extremely queasy about blood or any gore. I have to have my boyfriend clean and bandage any bloody cuts or wounds of mine because I feel like I'm either going to pass out or puke. I was getting queasy and dizzy feeling when Cosmo was flinging blood with his wings when he was bleeding. Luckily there is a vet down the street that has an avian vet there. I will have to take him if we ever have a bad emergency like a broken blood feather.

Btw everyone I mentioned to my boyfriend about us having to clip Cosmo's wings to see his reaction. He was nervous about that idea of us doing it ourselves. He's never had a bird before so owning one is still new to him. Even if I'm holding him he still feels a little iffy. He said he will do it, but isn't really about it. I'm also nervous too, I don't want him to hate us because he finally came around to my boyfriend and has bonded to us.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts