Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Talk Cockatiels! :)

I am looking to move and considering a "tiny house" that has cork flooring.

Has anyone ever lived somewhere with cork flooring? Does bird poop stain it? Currently, my birds sometimes poop on the wood floor, and I clean it up as soon as I see it. Usually that's pretty quickly. But occasionally I go away for the week and leave them with a bird-sitter, and then clean up when I get back. (I don't want to make other people clean poop!) It has never been an issue. I hear that cork flooring stains more easily, though, and I want to know whether this would be a problem.

Also, the house only has one room, and has a door to the outside that would open straight into that room. There is a curtain in front of the door. Do you think this is safe for birds, and if not, is there a way to make it safe? I don't want the birds to fly out when someone opens the door and pushes back the curtain.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
The biggest problem with cork flooring is that your bird will probably tear it to shreds. A floor surface like that is like the world's biggest parrot toy.

The door sounds pretty dangerous. You might be able to construct a safety door like the type used in aviaries and attach it in front of the regular door.

Here's the safety door in my aviary. Basically it's two sets of doors with enough space between them for a human to fit in. You open one door, go into the space, and close the first door before you open the second one. The picture was taken from outside the aviary, with the outer door open and the inner door closed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

OK, Tielfan, You're a wonderful person!

1) Oh jeese what a good point about the floor! The birds would be so happy chewing it up, and my landlord would be so unhappy with the result. OK it sounds like this place is not a good fit. Thank you so much for warning me!

2) I love your safety door! How genius! Maybe I will create that at whatever apartment I end up renting. It looks like you basically used wood, chicken wire, and hinges? Maybe I'll need to hire someone to help me because I've never done something like that but then again it'd be a great learning experience! I like that your door is clear so you can still let light through.

You're great. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
The wire is 1/2 inch hardware cloth. You need to wash it with a vinegar and water solution to get rid of excess zinc before any birds are allowed access to it, but after that it'll be good. I've got a website page on the aviary project and some other stuff I did with the same materials that might help give you an idea of how it all goes together.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had cork flooring in my home that I sold. It's great! I wouldn't worry too much about the floor. Everything cleans off cork. It would take a lot for a little tiel to tear it apart.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts