Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure when it happened but the birds have found their voices lately and I don't know why. They always used to be pretty calm birds unless locked inside their cages.

They learned long ago they can manipulate me (smart animals) to let them out of their cages by squawking very loudly in ear-splitting noise. In the past when I let them out that would make them happy and they'd make cooing noises and they'd just go do their thing around the house.

But lately it doesn't seem to matter where they are. They fly around and when they land they shriek in ear-splitting noises, especially when they land in different places. The birds need to be in eyesight or they really freak out.

It's gone from a minor annoyance to kind of a problem since talking on the phone or watching TV or doing anything requiring concentration is impossible. The birds are just so loud. My solution lately has been to let them go in the bathroom and lock the door, but it's not ideal.

The thing is they're very sweet in the evening, they get quieter and at night they won't make a peep from about 8 pm to 8 am.

I suppose the short answer I'm expecting here is: you wanted birds, these are birds, so deal with it. But I'm hoping somebody has a longer answer that might help me find ways to keep them occupied so they're not screeching all the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe they are hormonal?
Interesting, I didn't know they get could hormonal.

Maybe they're also sick of winter. After I posted above I put them in the cage and took them outside for a while in the sunshine and the breeze. It's only +9 Celsius but they seemed to like it, they began cooing.

Now back inside they're quiet as mice so it seems to have helped!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Well, the days are getting longer where you are (and shorter where I am).
You could try putting them to bed a bit earlier as too much sunlight has crazy effects on cockatiels!

·
Registered
885 Posts
I was going to suggest putting them outside for a bit if possible. When mine are starting to get abnormally noisy it's usually because they're sick of being cooped up inside and want to go outside, so I wheel them out (if the weather permits) for a few hours. They go bananas yelling at all of the wild birds and when they come inside they're super quiet and sleepy.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Joey was recently hormonal and LOUD for a few weeks. Nothing would distract him, he wasn't happy out of his cage, or in. If I was in the room he wasn't as bad, but if I left even for a couple seconds he went into full on 'abandoned birdie' mode, screeching and screaming to the point of mimicking our former neighbors' smoke alarm, which he only does in times of true distress (like thinking he is abandoned because I go to the kitchen for more coffee and he couldn't see me). He was loud from the time he woke up til about 7 in the evening.

He was also showing other signs of being hormonal, so it was easy to pinpoint with him what was going on. He moved past the other parts before he finished with the screaming though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's mating season for 'Teils whick I know of, and they can't help it. What I do during this irritating season:blink:, is just be patient:angel:, show lots of love:blush:, and wait:zzz:. It will be over before you know it.

Without knowing what it was, before I learned about this season, I was getting super frustrated with my male 'Tiel<_<. Then I learned, understand them, their frustration, and it will be over in just a few week or less!:D

~Skye

·
Registered
507 Posts
Interesting, I didn't know they get could hormonal.
I am honestly a little confused as to why Greyhaven didn't give you the rundown on this when you adopted. Parrots are extremely hormonal creatures - many aspects of their lives revolve around the process of mating. Cockatiels are opportunistic breeders, meaning they do not necessarily breed in seasons - more whenever conditions are ideal. You can see how this might be a problem in our homes, which are climate controlled and very comfortable for them. That contributes to their reputation as being more hormonal than other species - especially female 'tiels, which are not uncommonly chronic egg-layers.

The noise is largely a part of what they are. They are designed to be able to communicate across large distances of open airspace, so they are loud. Every vocalization has a meaning - whether it's to say "there's danger over there" or "I'm happy and having a good time" or "I want to mate". They often quiet down around bedtime, but complete silence is scary - no one wants to draw attention to themselves by making noise when there's a predator around. This is why white noise can help cockatiels who are prone to night frights.

Busy beaks are quiet beaks. Make sure they have a lot of enriching activities to take part in - foraging opportunities, toys, plenty of perching areas, and just lots to do. Balsa, vine, cork, palm, barky wood, or other things they can pick & snip at are huge hits over here. Wild cockatiels spend the large majority of their days foraging for food, so it's easy to see how feeding them in convenient dishes can make them have to expend their pent up energy in other not so nice ways. Make sure they have to work for their food - scatter seed around on a blanket, stuff a Nutriberry in a vine ball or finger trap, stick some small nut pieces in a foraging block - just get creative.

Otherwise, removing yourself from their main area might be the only option. This was the best choice for me and my 'tiels. I stress easily, and the noise was intolerable. Now they are in a bird room, and when I'm relaxed and able to deal with the noise, I go visit them in their room and read a book, watch some TV, draw, etc. They also get to be cage free during the day, so it works out well for everyone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Otherwise, removing yourself from their main area might be the only option. This was the best choice for me and my 'tiels. I stress easily, and the noise was intolerable. Now they are in a bird room, and when I'm relaxed and able to deal with the noise, I go visit them in their room and read a book, watch some TV, draw, etc. They also get to be cage free during the day, so it works out well for everyone.
Thanks for the advice. To be honest, the noise is annoying but it's not the worst problem. The worst thing is the female is EXTREMELY aggressive right now, to the point where she bites anything that comes anywhere near her.

So the issue is, she screams until she's let out of her cage. Then she waddles around the house biting people. Which is again only mildly annoying because she's biting socks and not skin. But earlier today she was sitting on top of the fridge and swooped in like a vampire at my face. I only had time to duck and she landed on my shoulder and bit my neck. I'm not going to lie, it was a vicious bite.

I've been forced to lock her in the en suite bathroom lately because she's just too aggressive biting people.

I hope this stage ends quickly because when she's not in this mood she's the sweetest bird.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
The swooping/lunging bites really suck. A LOT. Joey bit my lip twice while he was hormonal. Both times he was on top of his cage. The first I went in for a beaky kiss, and moved his millet at the same time. Okay, I touched his Precious. I get that. I just wasn't thinking. The second was an unprovoked attack of pure evil (or so it felt when my sweet baby boy tried to eat me when I was just showing a bit of affection). I steered clear for a few days after that until I could see his hormones were fading.

It isn't easy to ride out a bout of hormones. Remembering they can't help it goes a long way toward finding patience. They are birds, being birds, in a human world.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just got another Cockatiel the other day, and he is soooo loud! I know it's most likely just him adjusting to a new activity level and different noises, but when he starts screaming I can literally feel the sound waves pulsing in my ears. Even Obi is getting annoyed with it. I swear, he's like an old man!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Phoenix is the love of my life and he drew blood on both me and my partner in the last few weeks. Hormones can make them pretty ugly... she just wants to protect her family.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts