Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone-

I'm just about to move into a new apartment, which is smaller BUT I'll have Whiskey in a bedroom with a closed door rather than having to fuss with a curtain to block off the kitchen. I know cooking in cast iron and stainless steel on the stove is safe, but what about the oven?

I've read that new ovens (which mine will be) need to be run at a certain temp for a certain amount of time to burn off any chemicals, but I can't find the specifics. Does anyone happen to know? I'm guessing cast iron and stainless steel in the oven is okay, but would Pyrex glass dishes be safe too?

Thanks much :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Using your pans in the oven is safe too. No problem with Pyrex either.

But I would read the manual for the oven about the burn off. I would make sure the bird is in the other room with the door closed until you can ventilate. You can't be too safe.

I think it's mostly teflon at high temps that you need to worry about.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard about dangers of self-cleaning ovens, but I can't seem to figure out: are self cleaning ovens safe for normal use (e.g. baking in a cast iron skillet at 350 degrees) as long as the self-cleaning feature isn't used?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are. They just use high heat to clean, no chemicals.

And I've cooked cornbread in cast iron in one many times.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was always under the impression that ovens are safe as long as you don't use the "clean" feature and aren't overheating teflon. Usually it's something you have to turn on and off manually. Even so, I have a teflon wok my partner just bought me that I thanked her for and promptly stored away in the cupboard, in spite of how much I would like to use it X.x

·
Registered
184 Posts
I use teflon all the time. Just don't overheat it.

I never heard the oven cleaning thing and its been run a few times.

Not sure what's dangerous about it. There is no teflon in the oven, just ceramics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts