Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cookie has been showing signs of egg laying for the past few days, but she didn't actually lay one and was acting normal otherwise.
This morning she woke up all puffed up, refused to eat, didn't want to play, and just looked overall weak and sleepy. I took her to the vet immediately suspecting egg binding issues.

The vet ruled out egg binding, but discovered that she had fluid accumulated in her belly. After she drained the fluid out, did some blood work and an x Ray, she discovered that cookie has an infection somewhere in her reproductive system. She can't tell where exactly it is.

Cookie will stay hospitalized for two days. She's taking antibiotics and had a dose of birth control to calm her hormones.

Does anyone know the prognosis for this type of problem? The vet said she will need to observe cookie for 24 hours to be able to tell if the antibiotics are working. What causes these infections? This is a complete surprise to me because cookie was completely fine yesterday. Does anyone have experience with this kind of issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Cookie

Oh I am sorry to hear of Cookie's illness! I wish I could give you some info, but I really don't know what would cause an infection like that. I bet she's feeling pretty miserable; so glad you took her to the vet as quickly as you did! Sending get well wishes and hugs your way!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I remember reading a thread on Avian Avenue about a cockatiel with this problem, though hers was chronic. I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I'm going to PM you a link because we can't share other forum links here. Basically, this cockatiel was a chronic egg layer and then developed a cyst that the vet was draining the weekly. Lupron shots did no help, and they eventually put in a suprelorin implant that helped. Years later, the same cockatiel later died of a mass and fluid in the lungs.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Oh My :( Hope she feels better soon! Having a sick fid is always hard on the nerves! **Hugs**

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!
I went to visit her. She seems to be doing better - she is eating a little, preened and moved around for a little bit. The vet says she has moments of high activity, but she sleeps most of the time, which is what her body needs right now. She was happy to see me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cookie

I am sorry to hear she is not feeling good. Glad you were able to catch it before it was too late. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Glad Cookie is doing better and I hope you can get to the root of the problem. Good thing you are observant and got her to the vet as soon as she had symptoms. Hope she makes a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
How scary! So glad to hear she is showing signs of improvement already. Joey and I are sending love, hugs, prayers and scritches. :love:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I hope Cookie gets better soon Congrats on you being a responsible oened and rushing her to the Vet . Sending positive vibes and kisses for both you and Cookie from Brazil Xxx Teresa

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hoping Cookie is better in no time. Glad you caught it early...prayers and hugs being sent :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
I am SO sorry this is happening to Cookie and you! I am sending positive vibes your way and I wish Cookie a speedy recovery!

I don't want to sound insensitive in saying this and I hope everyone will see my point, but for non-bird-owners, Cookie's case is the perfect example of how birds can suffer from life altering illnesses that need veterinary attention, just like your beloved family cat or dog. My whole life i've heard the whole "it's just a bird" argument when i've had a bird in need of vet care (avian vets are few and far between here) and too many people are too quick to write them off with saying "oh it's just a bird".

So MAJOR kudos to you, CookieTiel, for getting your baby the veterinary care she needs <3 I really, really hope that Cookie will get through this and become a self-made advocate for avian vet care!

·
Registered
49 Posts
My dad is that way unfortunately
"its just a $50 bird for crying out loud why would you spend $200 on a vet visit, you could buy 4 more"
Uhhhhm because its a living feeling creature that we have a responsibility to take care of?
nope all about the physical cost of the bird itself, nothing more...

·
Registered
183 Posts
How is cookie doing? Hugs for you and her!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
My dad is that way unfortunately
"its just a $50 bird for crying out loud why would you spend $200 on a vet visit, you could buy 4 more"
Uhhhhm because its a living feeling creature that we have a responsibility to take care of?
nope all about the physical cost of the bird itself, nothing more...
Sort of like saying you shouldn't pay to have medical treatment for a human child if the cost is more than what it cost to bring the child into the world, isn't it? Joey IS my kid, and you don't stop to think of cost of treatment when your little one is sick or hurt.

·
Registered
878 Posts

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Get well soon Cookie. Sending love and scritches from me and my flock.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi everyone, thank you so much for all the good wishes and positive vibes!! I am so happy to share with you all that my little girl Cookie came home today! She is doing SO much better, back to her old self again. She just needs to continue taking antibiotics and pain reliever for a few more days. She was extremely happy to come home- she ran back and forth on top of her cage, walked on the floor, went to all her favorite places.

She had a serious infection in her uterus. The cause is unknown, but while she was hospitalized she passed a deformed egg, and felt much better after that. I think the egg was causing fluid to accumulate in her belly and inflamed the region, and once she got the egg out she was able to heal faster. She will probably have to take birth control for the rest of her life to prevent another infection- the doctor doesn't know if this was an isolated case or if she has a problem in her uterus that can cause repeated infections.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Bless her little heart. Hopefully this never happens again. She sounds very happy to be home :) Please give her a little scritch from me!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts