Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Going to start introducing fruit and vegetables to my new tiel, Spikey.
He's been weaned on to a seed and nut mix so hoping to introduce him to pellets and fruit and vegetables.
I've read most tiels won't like fruits as not a natural source of food for them but will probably try some things I have in the house routinely.

My main question is about the veg...
How should I serve this?
Is raw ok or do I need to cook things?
I've read some chop, some mash (for fussier birds!), some grate, some give whole?
I guess I just try different things and see what Spikey prefers!

Also is there anything that is a definite NO do not give?
I've read mushrooms and avocado but can't remember seeing anything else mentioned.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Registered
Vegetables are very good for a cockatiel's. They can eat both cooked and raw, but it is heathier if you give them raw vegetables. Cockatiels don't swallow fruit, but they love to chew on things like apple. I always put an apple at the bottom of my bird's cage so they can nibble it if they get bored. A good thing for your bird's diet that they will enjoy is millet. Cockatiels will only eat it if it is hanged from the roof of your cage. You have to limit the amount you give them, though, but millet every now and then will benefit their diet.

Registered
Vegetables are very good for a cockatiel's. They can eat both cooked and raw, but it is heathier if you give them raw vegetables. Cockatiels don't swallow fruit, but they love to chew on things like apple. I always put an apple at the bottom of my bird's cage so they can nibble it if they get bored. A good thing for your bird's diet that they will enjoy is millet. Cockatiels will only eat it if it is hanged from the roof of your cage. You have to limit the amount you give them, though, but millet every now and then will benefit their diet.
I would really not suggest you hang millet in your birds cage and that is because they can only eat the millet and ignore the rest of their food, plus, you could easily use millet as a treat for training but if you put it in their cage, then they wont be interested eating it from your hand

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you @Friday and @A cockatiel
I've started giving plain steamed veg which he's started to try.
And the millet I'm using for training and he's started taking that from my hand now. I do leave him with it in his cage after so he knows he gets the whole reward when we have finished (only 2inches of a stem, not a whole long piece!).

Registered
Thank you @Friday and @A cockatiel
I've started giving plain steamed veg which he's started to try.
And the millet I'm using for training and he's started taking that from my hand now. I do leave him with it in his cage after so he knows he gets the whole reward when we have finished (only 2inches of a stem, not a whole long piece!).
Its no problem! Have fun with your little companion!

Registered
I would really not suggest you hang millet in your birds cage and that is because they can only eat the millet and ignore the rest of their food, plus, you could easily use millet as a treat for training but if you put it in their cage, then they wont be interested eating it from your hand
Yes, I do occasionally put millet sprays in their cage. It鈥檚 a treat for them and I am currently using it to train Friday to 鈥渨ave鈥. My birds seem to rotate between millet and seed too. Thanks for your reply. I will take this into consideration.

Registered
Yes, I do occasionally put millet sprays in their cage. It鈥檚 a treat for them and I am currently using it to train Friday to 鈥渨ave鈥. My birds seem to rotate between millet and seed too. Thanks for your reply. I will take this into consideration.
Its ok to hang once in a while but i said it as to not make it a daily habit, i hope the training with Friday goes well!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts