Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have been reading articals on converting your Teils to a pellet diet and how that can extend there lives. I was wondering does anyone know where I can find a pellet based diet for sale?? I am looking for something proven and I seem to be at a lose all I can find is seed based diets with a few pellets in them. I want to do the best for Noel and My Baby but I am so in need of help on this one!

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
All my birds from budgies to quakers eat Zupreem Avian Maintaince Fruity blend pellets

and when i get one that is a seed eater to convert them, I start the day i get them, and I put mainly thier seeds, and every week I lower the amt. of Seeds and increase the amount of pellets i give them until it's pure pellets they're eating

The only time mine get seeds is if they're breeding (I can't remember the name but it hass Egg in the name), or when i buy store bought Treat sticks

other then that the only seeds they get is the occasional SunFlower seed, which we grew out self, and cut before we moved and let them dry out no store bought sunflower seeds though ( too much salt in those)

Roudybush is another one of the top pellet brands, the top 2 are Zupreem and Roudybush i've used both, Roudybush comes in differnt sizes but only natrual color, where Zupreem has Natural and Fruit flavored and comes in different sizes, but i've noticed here where i live Zupreem isn't as easy to get at a local pet shop as it is a Bird Fair but you can order it from thier website i belive

www.zupreem.com and www.roudybush.com

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much I really want to do the best by my babies. The thought that I could have them around allot longer makes me very happy!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine are on a seed and pellet diet. I give them the choice and in my opinion pellets aren't as cracked up as they are supposed to be , plus Ive been told many a time that an all pellet diet isnt good for them and seeds should be offered also.. But I also use fruity Zupreem :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See I would still give seeds also.. I want them to be healthy but I really love giving them seeds but once I switch it will be in moderation. I have read that in the wild there diet consists of stuff like seeds and fruit and whatnot. I really just want a healthy balance and in my opinion more is said good about pellets.. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
130 Posts
True they do have a lot of goodness in them but they still need a littel fat from seeds.

Oh and of course they need their fruit, veggies and cooked food more than anything :D

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I have Zupreem pellets in my fridge right now but they only get it once in a blue moon. They'd much rather have a plate of pomegranate seeds or veggies. To me they are processed foods and no matter how healthy they claim to be, truth is they're not part of their natural diet. What we should do is try to mimick that as much as possible. I personally don't like to eat any processed foods because long term it can do more damage then good. I think the idea diet should include a good seed mix, lots of veggies, fruits, beans, nuts...etc. Bea's food pyramid explains it in more detail. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I've tried using pellets before, and the brand i liked, Harrisons (one of the very best available, it's organic and highly recommended by vets), is near impossible to get here, and it costs an arm and a leg for a small bag. The more easily available Aussie brand, Vetafarm, is nothing impressive. If you want to go with pellets, i would go 50/50 pellets/seed and heaps of other foods as well. Go for Harrisons or Roudybush if you can, as both are free from all the artificial flavours and preservatives that are in most pellets. Whatever you do avoid the coloured pellets, they're full of artificial colours and flavours, and just aren't that healthy for them.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I switched my 4 over to Pellets and it was a breeze. I started off with ZuPreem fruit blend to get them to actually eat it, then coaxed them onto the natural, uncolored one. It worked well!

I get mine at Pet Value, not sure if you guys have that in the US or not. Its about $18 dollars a bag (2.5lbs) with tax.
You can also get pellets at petsmart, or any other large pet store.
Harrisons is the best, but they are hard to find and cost a load of money. You can usually find them at your vet.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Spike eats the fruit zupreem pellets. He ate them at the breeders. And I put them in Icarus the budgies treat dish and he started to eat them too, after a while.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Mine get the fruit zupreem pellets as well, I have tried the natural ones and they wouldn't touch them :rolleyes: I am thinking of trying another brand of natural to see if they will try a different one.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
My guys all dug right into Harrisons, they weren't so keen on Vetafarm though. The only other brand i've seen is Kaytee which i will never feed my guys.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I haven't even seen the Kaytee around here I am taking it, that its not good...lol so thats good that they don't sell it and I haven't tried it.
I tried one called Tropical granules its a blend of 8 different grains and nuts no artifical flavours or colours they wouldn't eat it.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Kaytee is one of a few brands which is known for loading their pellets with sugar, and also including the preservative Ethoxyquin. Lafeber is another with a similar reputation. If you can get them, Harrisons, Roudybush and Zupreem all have good reputations, especially the natural varieties of them. :)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I haven't found the natural ones around here yet only the fruity ones which is weird
The Fruit Blend budgie ones right? Those seem more common here too. I didn't see them at the regular store I go to but I did find them at this other petstore. They're called NATURAL DIET cockatiel...and have no coloring or anything.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I have tried more then one and can't find them only the fruit blend they have lots of that one for cockatiels and the one for budgies. I might have to travel farther to find them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts