Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elvis is a really picky eater so I thought it would be a huge challenge to convert him from seeds to Harrisons. I was surprised he actually tried Harrisons when I first offered it to him, but after three pieces he decided it wasn't for him. I've tried hiding it with millet and mixing it with seeds and although he doesn't care if one or two pieces gets into his mouth, he tries his best to sort them out. And he is good at that, even though I bought the fine course pellets.

My vet gave me a long list of things to try, but most of them works best for converting more than one bird. But if I continue to mix it with his seeds, will Elvis accept it or just get better at sorting the pellets out? The best advice from the vet was to place pellets on the edge of the toy mirror, so it looks like the bird in the mirror is eating it. Except there are no edges on the mirror in Elvis cage. Elvis is really fond of the handsome bird in there, and my guess is he would eat anything he thinks the mirror bird is having.

Any advice on how to get him to accept that Harrisons is food? I already tried to fill his bowl with that only, but then he screamed for an hour until I got him seeds as well.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Honestly I put a bowl of pellets and a bowl of seeds in my birds cage and let them choose. They decided to eat both. What you can do is offer only the pellets for about an hour every morning to try to get him to eat them. One thing to keep in mind though is that tiels should not be on a pellet only diet as that is just as bad for them as a seed only diet. It's better that they have everything in moderation.

Another good idea is to ground the pellets up to a fine powder and put them on their seeds.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hand feeding pellets as a treat worked to get Joey interested in them. I would use my excited voice and tell him how yummy they were, and he seemed more receptive to the idea of them.

With birds it is all trial and error until you find out what works for each one, sort of like with little humans. :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
From my experience with Sammy I found offering new foods in the morning worked best.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I'll try offering pellets only tomorrow morning. Elvis was extremely happy this morning, so if he is just as happy tomorrow there is a chance he might eat some. He sang to me and even heart winged for the first time.

I know he shouldn't be on a pellet only diet, but I need to know he will actually eat enough of them. I plan on having pellets in his cage and seeds on his play stand.

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
It actually works better to have the pellets in a different bowl than the seeds. When you mix them both together it turns into a foraging adventure, as the bird picks out his favorites and rejects the rest. When it's in a separate bowl you remove the "fun with foraging" element, and they're more likely to eat what's there. Here are some tips on persuading a bird to eat new foods: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/nutrition-conversion.html

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Placing them in a new bowl didn't work at all. He wouldn't go near it. He is used to THE food bowl, and I think the reason he actually tried some in the start was because they were there, and that's where food is. I put pellets only in this morning. He has eaten about five, and keeps looking at me like he's asking when the real food is coming. I'll give it fifteen more minutes and I'll replace them with seeds. We'll try again tormorrow and if he eats six bits of pellets then I'll call it progress.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts