Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering getting a second tiel as a companion for Peanut...and because let's face it they're darn cute. My question is would I still need to quarantine the new addition even if it's from the same breeder? Thx

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Its great having two tiels.As for the quarantine yes I think so you would probably have to quarantine I didnt quarantine Loki and hes happy and healthy but I did keep him away from Rocko for a few days just to be sure he was healthy but then I ended up seeing how they were together and they were ok and Rocko and Loki both came from the same breeder but theyre not siblings because they came from different parents.I will let someone with more experience answer your question.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am picking up my new fid tomorrow, and he is from the same breeder JoJo was from, and I am still putting him under quarantine just to be safe...you never know.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Always put them in quarantine. You have no way of knowing what's happened at the breeders house or what's happened to their birds.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
For me, having two cockatiels is great! They keep each other company and yet they both still love me and want to be with me as well. I would be worried having only one bird - being lonely and all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For me, having two cockatiels is great! They keep each other company and yet they both still love me and want to be with me as well. I would be worried having only one bird - being lonely and all.
I've noticed Flynn showing a bit of separation anxiety as he has became more bonded with me- if I leave the room he'll do call out till I come back in!

Hopefully he'll have a feathered buddy soon!

Also, would a cheap cage like this be suitable for quarantine purposes?

http://www.ferplast.com/en/shop/bird-accessories/budgie-cockatiel/sonia

dimensions 61,5 x 40 x h 65 cm

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
I've noticed Flynn showing a bit of separation anxiety as he has became more bonded with me- if I leave the room he'll do call out till I come back in!

Maybe Idk tiels have long tails I say maybe a bigger one and after Quarantine you could sell the cage.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok - good to hear! I was concerned (and was told by the breeder) that Peanut might bond with the new tiel so well that he may not want to be around me anymore.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts

It's a little narrow, but if you don't have anything else, it may do. You can always use it as a travel cage later on.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Ok - good to hear! I was concerned (and was told by the breeder) that Peanut might bond with the new tiel so well that he may not want to be around me anymore.
Rocko is still bonded with me also but im starting to think hes being bullied by Loki because today Loki was in Rockos cage eating and Rocko was afraid to tell him to go and when Loki was on Rockos favourite perch Rocko wouldnt go up even though he really wanted to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts