Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, been a while!

Quick context: My mother and I became first time bird and first time cockatiel owners back in June of 2019. Luna was the last cockatiel at the pet store, and was reportedly on the older side for a pet store bird (my guess is she was about 8-10 months old). Although we have had previous struggles (you can see my older posts if you'd like), she's all around brought so much joy into our lives. Recently, she's been yelling, way more often than she has before. Sure, she would have her yelling bouts every now and then, but this has been going on for roughly a week. Here's a video of her behavior:

Now, this isn't new to us. But what is new is this:

What could this be? She's done this about three times so far, in the past couple days. I have heard that kind of noise from her before, but there some new aspects in there, and never with that kind of body language and position. When I get near her while she does this, instead of stopping and scuttling away like she normally would, she continues, and sometimes even moves her head against my face. Could this be something to do with sexual maturity? Could "she" possibly not be a she at all? We've spit balled with some ideas, like maybe a food issue, but this is completely new to us. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is female mating behavior. She probably wants a mate and you should probably get her a partner. It is completely normal.
I just did some research and found that out as well! Super awesome to hear, we finally know for sure she's a female. We've been thinking about getting a friend for her, so now might just be the time!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only thing I'm wondering now is if I should get a male, or just another female. Will probably try doing some more research, but some opinions would be nice to hear. Like you said, the babies would be beautiful, but I'm not sure if have some tinies running around is the best course at this point.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I mean for the bird it would obviously be better to get a male, but if you don’t want them to have babies then it depends on you. If I were you, I would get a male. My cockatiel’s sibling flue away and she was depressed, so we got her a partner and now they have 7 beautiful children.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.