Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few cockatiels from same parrents.The difference is that my cinnamon male is over a year old and is very horny right now.He had a crush on his mother for a while but i always block him or remove him to another cage.But recently he wants another female which is also family related and only 3 months old.I know that is dangerous to breed cockatiels from same parrents and blood and always try to block the process.Now it comes to this that when i put the cinnamon male in the cage with the lutino female he always tries to climb on her.She doesn't mind and is submissive.And it troubles me cause they don't make noise when they are mating and i always miss the beginning.My question is this: is really mating between family related cockatiels dangerous cause i read a lot of articles saying that it's only "future problems" ? I am putting them in different cages for now.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Its never a good thing to let them inbreed. It can cause a lot of problems with health, such as weakened immune systems, genetic issues, and generally weaker birds. There is a higher incidence of eggs that don't hatch, weaker chicks, and overall less healthy birds. By all means, you should separate them and not let them breed. Especially keep him away from a 3month old baby. At that age they are way too young to be breeding period. Please keep your birds separate. You can put hens with other hens together, but keep the cocks separately.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Inbreeding is terrible and should never be allowed to happen. This male should never be left with related females. Put him in a seperate cage with other males.
Plus 3 months is far too young to be mating! Your hen could die if she lays eggs that young

1 - 3 of 3 Posts