Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honey just did a poop and I snapped a photo because nothing about it is normal:

I watched her until she did a second one and this is what it looks like:

She's generally a happy girl and has a great appetite, but she does tend to take more naps than the other three. Everyone else's poops look normal. She's also just started a molt. I have no idea what her weight is. I just checked on her again and she's got her head tucked under her wing ready for another nap. :(

I'm gonna get her to the vet ASAP. Please send Honey your best wishes.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Wow that first one really does look off. I agree a vet's visit is in order. Sending lots of good thoughts for her and hope that all turns out well. :flowers:

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
I'm no professor in poopology, and I hope it isn't this, but could it possibly be psittacosis? I sincerely hope not, and regardless, wish the best for poor Honey

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Nothing about this suggests psittacosis to me.

The first poop has two undigested seeds in it, which is the most concerning thing. The second pic looks more or less normal, although somewhat more watery than usual. Occasional undigested seeds can be normal, especially in a bird that's stressed, but chronic undigested seeds are almost always a sign of illness.

Usually undigested seed in the fecal portion of poop indicates that there's inflammation in the digestive tract. This can be caused by an imbalance of bacteria, infection, or a variety of other things. At minimum, you want a gram stain from the vet. If her poop keeps having undigested seeds, I'd consider bloodwork and possibly xray too.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Psittacosis... that word freaked me out :frown:

Last week her nares were quite reddish-pink, too. I thought perhaps she'd hit her nose on something but now it makes much more sense that it could be because she's sick. Her poops have been very watery lately, especially the urates.

I just scheduled an appointment with my avian vet for tomorrow at 3:30pm. That was the soonest time I could get in.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It's normal for their nares to get more pink if they've recently scratched or had any type of recent exertion. There's a lot of blood flow to the nares, so they flush just like our faces do.

I don't think you have any reason to panic right now. Most likely she has an imbalance in her gut flora that can be easily corrected with probiotics, antibiotics, or some combination of both.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks enigma731, I hope so. She hasn't passed any more undigested seeds that I'm aware of, (I was at work so couldn't watch her anymore until tonight), but she did a couple of poops tonight that were very very dark in colour. She was napping again when I got home from work, and I've noticed that after every sip of water she takes, she kind of hiccups/coughs for about a minute afterwards. Is this normal?

I'm trying not to panic but it's hard. I love her so much. If Henry panics too much when I try to separate them I might have to take him along to the vet with her, haha. He's very attached to Honey and was singing to her all evening.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Dark droppings indicate slowed movement through the GI tract. That suggests that she either isn't eating as much as usual or has gastric slowing due to some kind of gut flora imbalance.

The coughing/hiccuping after drinking water can be normal, but if it's new and it's happening every time, that sounds more like there's some kind of irritation in her throat or crop.

I'd guess she's going to end up with some antibiotics.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Apologies. Like I said, I wish I knew more about illness, but that's not my strong suit.

enigma, I am truly envious of your knowledge ;)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She coughs after drinking almost every time. So does Henry. So I suppose that's okay.

Honey has had more undigested food in all of the droppings I've seen her do today. There's a kind of mucus-like substance as well. We're going to the vet in about an hour. I'll update you guys on how that goes after I get home from work tonight.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Henry was traumatized when I took Honey away but Honey was fine and was quiet during the ride to the vet. It stressed her out a lot when the vet examined her and weighed her etc, and she ended up flying around the room until she was puffed but good girl for not crashing into the window. Turns out she weighs 88g which the vet thought was excellent and said she's in great condition, although I assumed she would weigh more than that but I can't say if that's her normal weight or not because I don't have my own scale - yet. The vet did a gram stain but couldn't find anything wrong with the poops. No undigested seed was passed while we were there. I forgot to bring my phone to show her the pics I posted in this thread so I've just emailed them through now.

She said probiotics are definitely worth trying, but they only had a paste form in stock so I'm going to get some capsules asap. She also said that putting some flaxseed oil in Honey's food might help with digestion, so I'm going to get some of that, too. So apart from those suggestions no meds were prescribed, but my vet said to bring her back if the undigested poops continue and she will do further tests. Overall she said, like you said enigma, that it seems to be a minor digestive issue that can be corrected easily enough. I'm so relieved.

Honey did vomit on the way home though. I'm assuming it's not related and it was because she was so stressed out from the whole ordeal.

Henry was soo pleased to see his beloved again. Here's how he greeted her:

·
Registered
786 Posts
So glad things turned out well! Here is hoping for a speedy recovery :)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It's probably a good idea to prioritize getting a scale now, because continued weight loss would be a sign of something more serious going on that you'd need to address with the vet. Most likely the probiotics will take care of it, though.

Also, that picture is adorable!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just ordered a scale now. It should arrive sometime next week. I'd get one from a local shop but all the ones I've seen are outrageously expensive.

Yeah, they're pretty adorable together :p Henry's been singing non stop since Honey's been home. Today he's strutting around and keeps going back to her to 'kiss' her. I haven't seen any undigested poops today, but I think I'm going to replace the usual newspaper with plain white paper so I can see them better.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
White paper is a good idea. You'll also want to watch and make sure the vomiting was a one-time thing, although I agree it was most likely from the stress and possibly the car ride.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She hasn't vomited since then and I can't see any undigested seed in her recent droppings. Yay! :)

She seems very tired though and very quiet. The other three are picking on her a bit, too - even Henry. She just kind of brushes them off and goes and sits somewhere far away from the other 'tiels. They share a very large flight cage so there's more than enough room for everyone, and no one is going out of their way to annoy her so it seems okay for now. I don't think she would do well in separate cage on her own.

I got some probiotics and some flaxseed oil today. I'm wondering how much I should give her. I plan to put it in some soft food, is it fine to put the oil and the probiotic in together? Or should I make a separate mix for each? How much of one capsule should she have as one dose? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Probiotics don't have very exact dosing. Do the capsules give you any instructions? I use these and the dose is about 1/8 teaspoon but I'm not sure how that would compare to capsules. The bottom line is that you want to make sure she's getting some, and you don't really need to worry about overdose. I've never used flaxseed oil with my birds before, so I can't offer much guidance there. Can you call or email the vet and ask for a guideline?

It sounds like she's doing pretty well, although I'd definitely keep an eye on the tiredness, which I'm sure you're already doing. :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My vet said it's fine to use the probiotics made for humans so I got these. She wasn't clear about exactly how much to give, basically she just said a very very small amount, and the same with the flaxseed oil. It's good to know you can't really overdose on them, though.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I would probably go with 1/8-1/4 of what's in the capsule, depending on how much of the food you think Honey is actually going to eat. I dilute probiotics in my birds' water, so they obviously aren't getting anywhere near all of what I put in.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts