Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I returned home this morning (around 10:30-ish?) to find that the bird cover was still on the cage (everyone was asleep). I took it off and took my cockatiel out to play. However, he didn't seem interested in anything at all. His crest was all the way up and his droppings were sometimes watery, sometimes not, and so I thought maybe it had something to do with the stack of newspapers that was on the desk. I put away the stack and got him some raw corn to nibble on. It took a couple of minutes for him to calm down, but eventually he was walking all over and talking like he usually does. Since it's been way too long since his last bath, I took both him and our budgie to the shower.(Put the water on the lowest pressure setting.) He didn't respond to the water at all, after his initial attempts to fly out of the tub. I readjusted the shower head and he just sat there under the water until I moved it away. I noticed a feather from his wing fell off into the tub, and when I looked at his wing, there was a pink patch on his wing. Now that he's relatively dried off, the patch is no longer visible, but I'm still concerned, given the odd behavior this morning. Should I be worried, or is it normal?

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It sounds like something spooked him earlier this morning. If the bald spot on the wing was only visible while he was wet, it was probably his elbow that you saw. They actually don't have feathers right over the joint, but it's normally covered by the ones around it. I would just keep an eye on him today for any other signs of odd behavior, but I don't really find anything alarming in your post.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
He might have been a little out of sorts too that he was still covered if he's normally uncovered sooner. Also, I don't know what your weather is like there, but our days here have been gray and rainy and that definitely affects my tiel's mood in the morning.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the late uncovering and something in the room might be it. The weather here's been ridiculously sunny for the past week or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts