Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Wonderful Talk Cockatiels People!

Thank you for all your advice in the past. Largely thanks to what I read on this forum, I have finally decided to adopt a companion for my seventeen-year-old male cockatiel, Conrad.

I have two questions:

1) How much does the age of the new bird matter? Right now, all the shelters within an hour drive from my house only have very young birds available (just a few years old). Should I hold out for someone closer to my bird's age, so that the two birds will live similar life spans? Or do cockatiels' lifespans vary too widely for me to try to time this sort of thing?

2) How much does gender matter? Should I try to find a male bird to avoid the two birds making eggs together? I worry that, if Conrad's new girlfriend lays eggs and I take Conrad's eggs away, both parents will become depressed. Do birds react emotionally to losing their eggs? On the other hand, might Conrad get more pleasure from an opposite-sex than same-sex companion?

Thank you all so much! :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
With how old Conrad is, getting him a new friend so late in his life might be hard on him. Sometimes, older birds have a really hard time accepting new birds. And a young bird might be too much for him.

That being said, I would get another male. Having a female may make Conrad hormonal and he doesn't need that at his age either. Does Conrad have eggs in his cage? This part is confusing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts