Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2 babies, one yellow fuzzy, 1 white fuzzy.
Dad is a cinamin, Mom is a WF cinamin pearl.
(their parentage is unknown & no way of finding out)

So, is the white(face) fuzzy have any chance of being a pearl also ?
And would the WF baby have to be a boy or girl ? or either ?

We still have a lot to learn about color genetics....

This mom is an older bird & likely also a first time mom.
Dad is experienced, we are hoping, praying & everything possible to make sure these 2 babies make it to adult birds.

So far mom has been Extrememly protective, she would not let dad in the nest box for 2 days while they were hatching.
She finally got hungry, & let's him in to feed & she
is coming out to eat now also.

Also , the last egg is just fluid that rolls around when the egg turns, so this egg is bad ?

Thank You.....

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
in order to get any white fuzzy babies both parents have to carry the gene So daddy is split to white face

Pearl is sex linked So the dad would need to carry it as well for any to show BUT if only dad was pearl then any pearls would be girls If mom is the only one carrying sex linked genes you won't have any visual pearl(or any other sex linked gene) BUT the boys will be Split to it

If there is not any more hidden genes this is the outcome you'll have with this pair

Mother:Whiteface Cinnamon Pearl
Father:Cinnamon Split To Whiteface

male offspring:
50% Cinnamon Split To Whiteface {X2: Pearl}
50% Whiteface Cinnamon Split To {X2: Pearl}

female offspring:
50% Cinnamon Split To Whiteface
50% Whiteface Cinnamon

so your little white fuzz ball is a white face cinnamon and can be either a boy or a girl IF it turns out to be a boy he'll be split for Pearl

when was the last egg due to hatch? Most say to leave it for 7 days past hatch date, But I usually leave it longer, I've left unhatched eggs for a few weeks to slow the parents down because mine don't care if they have babies already they've been known to start their next clutch again .

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to say if the egg was the first or last laid, the mom has been too protective to let us do much with the nest, we are to worried about stressing her, so we have only let her know we will LOOK in the nest box everyday, but because she throws such a hissy fit with just looking we are too worried she will accidently hurt the eggs or babies if we reach in to do anything else.

If it is the last egg, it was due yesterday, but
That is an excellent idea to keep it, we have another pair we have been worned
about....They may want to have more eggs before the babies are weaned.
Thank You for all of your answers !

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Ah...from what you have posted they will all be cinnamons...normal (yellow down, orange cheek patch) or WF (white down)

If you do get any pearl babies then you will know that the father was also split to pearl, and they could be either sex.

As to the egg...toss it. If no visible veins are showing then it is no good. If the egg is old you do not want it breaking in the nestbox.

You can candle it once more, just in case. No veins it goes. Break it open on a white paper plate to see it it had been fertile and possibly an early death due to getting chilled at some point....etc.

Susanne

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
When the chicks get a little bit older the parents will stop brooding them and will start spending a lot of time out of the nest getting food for the babies. You'll be able to take out the dud egg when both parents are out of the nest.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Your right to be careful with nervous parents. They can break eggs and hurt babies. It appears that your genetic questions have all been answered.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well...when I walked in the room last night, I thought for sure I smelled a spoiled egg,
I went strait to that box to see if the egg broke, It had NOT. Thank Goodness....
I decided it was worth the risk to move mom & get that egg out of there
Luckily it went fairly smoothly, she scuttled to a corner versus letting me pick her up with newspaper...(wouldn't you too..)

I got the egg & did my own necropsy,
The chick had died at about 2-4 days old (?) in the shell. It was barely visible in the embryo sac. with a lot of good not spoiled yolk filling the egg.
But of course no blood viens, & the membrane seperated from the shell.

And, I am pretty sure exactly when the egg got chilled, one day when both parents had gotten spooked, & did not get back to incubating for quite some time. (OR it was the first egg, dad incubated a little bit then the hen laid more more w/out incubating)
So I am very grateful we have 2 healthy babies, both parents are being Okay parents, clearly mom is not experienced, but seems to be learning from dad.

I do still need to sneek in there sometime today & make sure niether baby got hurt from pulling the egg, so far I have gotten only one good look at both babies. And one of each color is Very Nice !

Guess all of that is OT a little, but back to topic, Thank You everyone for all of the advice, we appreciate your help with the color question as well as the egg issue.
:)

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Ah...it was an early death. many times older deathers can really deteriorate in the egg, and in hot weather I have had them explode...what a mess.

Here is what a 5 day old embyro death looks like. it is awsome on the changes the embyro goes thru to finally look like a bird.
-------------------------------------------
If the image doesn't show up, here is the link I've been having problems today with images :( http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc331/Mousebirds-and-more/Other%20birds/Chilled-5-days.jpg

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes, it was defenitely 5 days or younger DIS
I am not completely surprised, they were newly bonded parents
after both loosing long time partners to death, (the reason we ended up getting both)
& mom is probably a first timer PLUS old, possibly close to 20 yrs.
I Love her coloring, & really want her bloodlines to continue.

I am hoping she will choose a different mate after this clutch, another WF pied/pearl.
We'll see, I probably will not force them to switch mates.

OHHhhhh And, I picked up both chicks today, both are well fed, & look good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts