Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1st pic has 3 chicks, 2 from one pair & one chick from a different pair
The question about this larger single WF Cinnamin is; His dad has to be split to Cinnamin to have this cinnamin chick ?
color_question_about_parents.jpg

And here are 2 siblings, we are trying to figure out what the dad is split to,
There is a WF Pearled baby here that is starting to look exactly like mom
named Cuddles
And then Rebel, who appears to be a pied cinnamin, but we are hoping for
your suggestions on what color he is.
cuddles_rebel_.jpg

Both Cuddles & rebel have wing feathers like this pic, where it would normally be white on a grey chick.
wing_feathers.jpg

Thank You...:)

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
both are cinnamon -since you got cinnamons dad is split to it, if only mom carried it you wouldn't get any visuals just males split to it

Rebel looks to be WF Cinnamon Pearl
cuddles looks like a normal cinnamon But i could be wrong

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Ok...starting with the first pix. The father is obviously split to cinnamon...thus the chicks can be either sex.

2nd...Rebel is a cinnamon split to pied and Cuddles is a WF Cinnamon Pearl

As to the 3rd pix...it appears to be tinged with cinnamon. Wing bars should be white so not sure yet until the feathered are fully visible.,

Congratulations on the nice babies!!

Susanne

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
If I understand the captions on your first picture correctly, the cinnamon chick on the right have different parents than the other two. You said the father of the two chicks is cinnamon split WF and unknowns, and the mother is whiteface cinnamon pearl. If you're getting pearl chicks then the father has to be split pearl.

If there are no other splits, here are the chicks you can get:

Mother:Whiteface Cinnamon Pearl
Father:Cinnamon Split To Whiteface {X1: Pearl}

male offspring:
25% Cinnamon Pearl Split To Whiteface
25% Cinnamon Split To Whiteface {X2: Pearl}
25% Whiteface Cinnamon Pearl
25% Whiteface Cinnamon Split To {X2: Pearl}

female offspring:
25% Cinnamon Pearl Split To Whiteface
25% Cinnamon Split To Whiteface
25% Whiteface Cinnamon Pearl
25% Whiteface Cinnamon

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You everyone,
as an update Rebel has grown in the normal white wing bar(yellow tinge), along with some bright yellow crest feathers & back of his/her head has tick marks Plus yellow tail feathers.
the yellow tail feathers have bars, so apparently it is a matter of maturity to see if Rebel is a boy or girl,
but either way,
this would indicate Pied ?

Also, one of the older WF cinnamins has spots on the top of his/her shoulder & wings,.
I need to go read the 'Spot' thread again.

Tielfan;
Thank You I could not get dad in there correctly to match the babies.
So Dad that is a visual Cinnamin has 3 splits ?
WF & pearl for sure, plus pied ? (If Rebel is pied)

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
So Dad that is a visual Cinnamin has 3 splits ?
WF & pearl for sure, plus pied ? (If Rebel is pied)
It certainly sounds like it. Pearl is sex-linked so you won't get any pearl chicks at all if the dad doesn't have the pearl gene, regardless of what the mother looks like. Whiteface and pied are recessive so the chick has to get the gene from both parents to display the trait.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the "Spot Gene' thread did not answer any questions I had.

Anyway Mom is hiding her Pied gene then ? I didn't think that was possible for a female...
Mom is a WF Cinnamin Pearl, I have spent a lot of time studying her, I do not see anything that would indicate pied....
I must be missing something.

Maybe Dad has a Feather that indicates pied, & I have not noticed..
Running to go look....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found it Immediately, Dad has tick marks, white mask around his yellow mask & yellow vent area, Is a Yellow vent Pied ? in & of itself ? or no signifigance ?

Also he actually looks pearled too, very faint pearls, he probably had very defined pearls as a chick.

So, If Rebel is a Pied then Rebel has to be a girl ?

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
Pied and whiteface are recessive genes so hens can be split to them. It's the sex-linked genes that they can't be split to - pearl, lutino, and cinnamon. Males can be split to all these colors.

If you can see the remnants of pearling on your male, that's a sign that he is actually pearl, not just split to it. If that's the case then ALL the chicks that he has with a pearl hen will be pearl.

If the tick marks on the dad are a few light-colored feathers (most commonly on the back of the head), this is a sign that he's split to pied. There are other indicators, for instance one or more light-colored toenails. As far as I know a yellow vent doesn't mean anything.

Since pied is recessive and not sex-linked, it can't be used to guess the gender of the chick. Rebel could be a boy or a girl.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, Thank You~~apparently both parents are split to pied then.
This color genetics stuff gets me all confused,
someday I'll have it all figured out.

I have searched for a good website that is tiel specific on the color mutations,
versus talking about all bird species, Do You Know of One ?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GEEzzzz, the cunfusion gets worse......Help :confused::blink::blush:

So, I thought the barring on tail feathers was due to age, versus color mutations ?
like, if Rebel is a boy the bars will dissapear & a girl the bars will stay ?

All 3 WF cinnamins from the older clutch have both white & cinnamin tail feathers also,
all w/ barrs
Plus they all have tick marks on the back of their heads.
I assume they are all split pied, just like their parents ?

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
if Rebel is a boy the bars will dissapear & a girl the bars will stay?
-------------------------------------
Yep! If a male they will go a solid dark cinnamon/brown color. Most tiel mutations will have the tail barring and coloration of the female when young.

Yes, it sounds like the others are split to pied too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts