Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible for Tiels to catch colds from their owners? Both me and Darryl have stinking colds at the moment and I was just wondering whether it is possible that Dooby could catch it.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Nope, i think he's safe. The only thing i know of is psittacosis which is common(ish) in birds and it's possible for humans to catch it off their pets. I don't think they can then give it back though.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to know Bea, *atishoo* thanks very much *sniff*. It's reassuring to know that we *atishooooooo* can sniff and sneeze without *cough cough* Dooby getting infected!!! *Whooooooooooshhhhhhoooo*

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I agree with Bea, they cannot have a cold as "humans" do ;) wouldn't that be funny if he started mimicking your sick people sounds though...lol :p

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Aww- I hope you both get well soon. I haven't gotten a cold in over 15 years!!! (not to rub it in)- eat a piece of raw garlic (I know..yucK) but you'll be suprized how good it works. Dooby should be fine- I would just stay away from kisses.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I asked this question a while back on a quaker forum, as long as you don't put your mouth near his ( like my boyfriend plays a game with our quaker, Pretending he's gonna eat him and he'll open his mouth and act like he's eating the quakers head) he'll be fine i was told as long as none of the sick persons salvia (or for that matter salivia at any time sick or not) doesn't get near the bird's beak he can't catch nothing

when my b/f plays this game with out quaker its at the back of his head and only a feather or 2 touches his lip - but then Billy will turn around and open his beak real wide like my b/f just did with his mouth and then go off into his laughing fit

Our quaker actually coughs every single time some one coughs, and he didn't do it often until my b/f and kids were sick a while back, now he does it just about every single time some one coughs - - It is cute though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts