Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coco was preening herself on
My shoulder when I turned my head and looked at her she had a down feather suck on her beak (like she does frequently) however this one had some blood on it, she's also got blood on the inside of her beak. I checked her over as I thought she could have hurt herself when she has a flap frenzy this afternoon but couldn't see any blood. She continued preening herself when I noticed the blood has come from beside her oil valve thing on her back. There isn't a lot of blood I'm just wondering if down feathers can bleed a lot? I can't get a good look as she won't hold still while I try and find the spot

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I Just checked her cage for any blood, I found this feather on the bottom and think it's the culprit. Has anyone had or seen this before? Why would it have happened?

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
I found a feather like that in the cage but I've checked Danno and she was OK. I didn't see any blood on her beak or body. The blood was dry.

If anyone knows, let us know!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a feather like that in the cage but I've checked Danno and she was OK. I didn't see any blood on her beak or body. The blood was dry.

If anyone knows, let us know!
It'll be interesting to know what it is. It looks similar to a follicle.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Looks like a blood feather. Luckily it's a small one. If the bleeding has stopped, I wouldn't worry, your 'tiel should be fine. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like a blood feather. Luckily it's a small one. If the bleeding has stopped, I wouldn't worry, your 'tiel should be fine.
I found a few more now. I wasn't aware you could get down blood feathers. It was dry blood. I keep checking her as she preens that area a lot but hasn't had any change, there's still a dry blood clump there. She's being her normal cheeky self.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts