Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's an acceptable size but it would be nice to see how you keep it set up for them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rotate their toys every week I don't like to cramp their cage flying space is better. I put 3 toys at most in the cage at one time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A cage like that is still not large enough to allow full flight for a cockatiel - I think because of that it's better to have many toys (10+) in the cage and to allow all of their exercise outside it. Toys, a variety of them, are what they need to keep mentally occupied when you can't be there there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have alot more than 10 toys so I can put more in. I'm getting more toys on Sunday. What cage size would you recommend for two cockatiels? They get plenty of outside exercise,one does flight recall alot and flies around the room and they're out of the cage more than in. I'm getting the aviator flight line for when the weather improves.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That is a fine size, but cockatiels are just relatively large birds. They cannot really fly (only hop and flutter) with less than five feet of distance, which few people can offer in a cage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At the summer time I'm thinking about converting a chicken run to an aviary (walk in) it's 6 x 8 x 9 but it's just for play under supervision. They are spoiled cockatiels. I'm not sure if the wood that made it is safe though or the paint.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Actually 10+ toys would make the birds feel overwhelmed thats why people recommend to just put in 3-4 toys

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I would also recommend a flight like the one linked. You can often get them for under $100 if you shop around, and it has plenty of room for birds and lots of toys. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I only got the cage last week they've been out of the cage for 8-10 hours every day this week on their playstand or with me. Thanks for the replies. I'm getting more toys on Sunday,whatever they don't like will go to the rabbits or guinea pigs and if there is toys the rabbits or guinea pigs don't like they will go to the birds (after being washed)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Just as an fyi, there are some rabbit/guinea pig toys that are made of materials that are unsafe for birds. So just make sure you check that out before crossing them over. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
With the amount of time your birds are getting out of their cage I think that is big enough.
Converting an old chicken run is a great idea! I love sitting in our aviary with the birds

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Just as an fyi, there are some rabbit/guinea pig toys that are made of materials that are unsafe for birds. So just make sure you check that out before crossing them over. :)
Im sure he will he will probably ask me about it before he does he is cautious with his pets and will ask for advice before doing something.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts