Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a Cockatiel chick from a Breeder 4 days ago.Its 23 days old.I started to hand feed the baby.But It refused to eat. Its crop shouldn't be empty, so I forced it to eat.The bird ate for 5 times a day, but only 2 ml of the formula food.Then yesterday evening when I was feeding the bird. It didn't co-operate and it ran on the floor and suddenly the bird couldn't walk. It tried hard but it couldn't. Then it couldn't even move his legs which was good until the previous day. Now the bird can't even use its legs. It can't move its legs. So Today morning I took it to a veterinarian. He checked the bird and said There was no fracture. He said it could be because of the cold temperature or vitamin deficiency.So he prescribed vitamin drops for the bird. But he also couldn't even recogonize the problem. He asked me to keep the bird warm and give proper food and if his condition didn't improve he asked to bring the bird again.Is it normal for Cockatiel chicks? Now I wanna know what is wrong with his leg.Seeing my bird like this broke my heart. So Anyone who knew about cockatiel chicks please help me.What might be the problem?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I feel sorry about the bird has to go through. Do you have hand feeding experience before?
Young cockatiels at 3-4 weeks need lots of care, not just a few times of feeds a day. Make sure keep your bird in a heated brooder with temperature 92F to 94 F (about 33-34C).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya... I had a cockatiel chick before.I hand fed it. It got used to hand feeding within 2 days. But this one is not like that. But, now the bird started eating. I will feed him every 5 hours a day. Except the night time. I do not have a brooder,its expensive. So please give me other ideas to maintain temperature of the bird. What might be the problem?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts