Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone, we have two youngsters called Dave and Qashqai. We got them from a breeder when they were a few months old, and brought them home at the end of June. They are growing well, and showing distinctly different personalities. Qashqai is the bold adventurer (we guess she's a female) and Dave, who suffers from a dodgy wing clip that makes him fly backwards, tended to hold a back a bit. Dave has recently become interested in chatting long and loud and is also getting good at flapping and moving forwards a bit. They have been having an epic moult, and we are looking forward to seeing their first set of grown up feathers. They love walking round our living room and investigating everything.

We would be really grateful if anyone could tell us at approximately what age they officially become "adults" - is it after their first big moult, or more gauged by their age in months.

Thanks and have a great weekend! Aitch

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It really depends. The first molt can happen as early as 3 months of age, so that's not really a good scale to go by. Usually a bird is considered mature around 18 months of age, so that's what I would go with.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Agreed with roxy, in cockatiels the males are normaly mature at the age of 12 to 18 month and females mature at the age of 18 to 24 months.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Roxy & S-P!

Many thanks for your replies - they seem to have grown up so much in the couple of months we have had them, that we keep having to remind ourselves that they're just little guys!

Also, one more question, please - they have different coloured beaks - Dave's is a solid cream colour, and Qash's is a mottled greyish colour. Is this an indication of anything in particular?

Thanks and cheers, Aitch x

·
Registered
82 Posts
Many thanks for your replies - they seem to have grown up so much in the couple of months we have had them, that we keep having to remind ourselves that they're just little guys!

Also, one more question, please - they have different coloured beaks - Dave's is a solid cream colour, and Qash's is a mottled greyish colour. Is this an indication of anything in particular?

Thanks and cheers, Aitch x
i am really sorry but i just kept lutinos thats why i can't tell you about beak colour indication.
Seniors may answer your Q.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think the beak colors have to do with their all over coloring. Some have light ones, others have dark ones, some have them sort of mottled. I don't think it means anything special.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts