Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, im writing this post because my yellow cockatiel (Pike) as it looks is badly hurt. I left my cockatiels in their cage for the weekend because I went to visit my relatives and whenn i came back i saw that there is blood on her feathers and it looks dark and painful. I have posted about her broken feathers some time ago and the problems seems to fix with time. But now it looks more painful and I'm worried about the pain that she is feeling. Im scared to investigate behind her wing because I dont want to make her feel more pain.

Will it heal or is it very bad? She keeps ot lifted.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
It's very likely that she had a night fright, and knocked her wing feathers loose while she was flapping around the cage. How is her behavior? Is she eating normally, and does she have a normal amount of energy? Is she using her wings in a normal way or does she act like there is pain when she moves them?

If the bleeding has stopped and she's acting normal, things will be OK as long as she doesn't knock the feathers loose again. The blood stains are ugly, but don't try to wash them off. A lot of it will flake off over time, and anything that remains will go away when she molts these feathers. Do what you can to prevent her from having any more night frights, so she doesn't re-injure the wing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i found a couple of feathers on the floor of rosie's cage and they had blood on the white bit non on her though i think it may have been a night fright episode what can you do to minimise these im clueless to all this {new owner}the other feather i found was just a normal feather

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
A small night light can help reduce night frights. It lets the birds see a little better in the dark, so they're less likely to panic at the least little thing.

Some birds do better with the cage covered at night, and some do better with it uncovered. Be aware of things that could scare a bird in the night, for example odd sounds or moving shadows that make them think that a predator might be creeping up on them. Car headlights coming through the windows at night can be a problem, but closing the blinds or drapes can help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts