Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please before you yell at me for not taking her to a vet if this ends up being serious, if you didnt know there is a global pandemic and i have not been able to make money like i was before. recently i switched my cockatiel over to a mostly pellet diet (about 70% pellets and the rest seeds), but once she was fully switched over, her droppings began to have a strong smell. i assumed this was normal at the beginning, but the smell didnt stop and her droppings began to get more watery and didnt keep shape. after a few weeks i began to switch her back to her seed diet because she never had problems with that, and just now i noticed a few of her droppings had red in them. the color of the poop is a dark green, and the urates are slightly tinted a green/yellow. she has been eating, drinking, sleeping, and moving around fine. is there any way to fix this at home, or do i HAVE to take her to a vet. again please be nice im panicked due to money

·
Registered
14 Posts
The best option is always the vet. However I will say that I had a bird that lived with strange symptoms for about 3 years. He often had discolored/runny poop with bad odor and some unhealthy feathers (barring, thick casings, broken off at the shaft). Yet he was always a good weight, bright, chipper, affectionate, and healthy in appearance otherwise. The vet never could figure out exactly what was going on. It wasn't until the tumor started to show itself on the surface that I realized it had probably been growing internally for some time. The vet said that there was never anything that could have been done about it. Obviously I'm not saying that's what's going on with your bird... just my experience. You can't necessarily "fix" things until you know for sure exactly what is wrong and unfortunately a vet visit may be the only way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts