Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! So I have two new friends in my home, and they are 7.5 weeks old - weaned, drinking on their own etc. They are able to fly as well but are clumsy flyers.

I have just a couple questions - should the food dishes be near the bottom of the cage or around the perches where they spend the most time in? I ask this because I have three dishes (2 for food one for water) that I've been conflicted about how to place them. I put them by the perches and they ate from them a lot which is good, but I guess because they are young, they keep tripping over each other when trying to get to their food, and at one point one was standing on top of the other and they both flew about the cage and ended up on the bottom. They don't seem to acknowledge that there are cage bars for them to climb onto if they are being nudged off of a perch/edge of a food dish.

Right now I have the large food and water dish at the bottom, and the smaller food dish next to the perch so that they don't scramble over each other when eating, but have access to food if they aren't willing to go down.

Will they always step over each other like this, or is it just because they are young? This is my first time having two young cockatiels c:

·
Registered
786 Posts
For now you probably can leave the dishes where they are, so you give them choices. I think their stumbling over each other is because they are still very young. When I got my JoJo he was very clumsy and even took a while to start climbing the cage bars. As a few months went by he got more and more secure with himself, and before long he was like a little acrobat, jumping and flying perch to perch with ease and climbing all over the cage. So I wouldn't worry about anything right now, just give them some time.
What are your little ones name? Do you know what sex they are? You can post photos too so we can see what the little beauties look like! Congratulations on your new babies:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! And I'm not sure about names yet, although I'm thinking of naming the lutino 'sunny'... I'm looking for something a little more unique though xD I have no clue what sex they are yet. But alright! I'll post some pictures once I've decided on how to name them :D thank you!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree with JoJo's Mom. When I brought Pickles home, he was the clumsiest bird I ever saw. But he wisened up quickly and soon had mastered the art of climbing and getting around his cage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts