Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm relatively new cockatiel owner (3 months) and I'm starting to see cockatiel's appearance getting poor

She was taken from someone who moved and couldn't have pets in his new apartment, and I couldn't get much information out of previous owner as he got bird totally unprepared and didn't know much, all he knew was gender and name.

But apparently he fed her sausage and wine sometimes (Very stupid idea don't do that please)

And as I'm new, I'm not entirely sure about appearance so i went to ask here. She also sheds feathers more than usually. I'm keeping to diet clean environment and time spent with her and I'm really worried for my precious little flying egg. Although she doesn't like to be touched (which makes it impossible to give her a bath) i love this bird and want to keep her well and happy
Bird Vertebrate Light Beak Pet supply

Eye Beak Pet supply Mesh Line

Bird Vertebrate Light Pet supply Beak

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello, I'm relatively new cockatiel owner (3 months) and I'm starting to see cockatiel's appearance getting poor

She was taken from someone who moved and couldn't have pets in his new apartment, and I couldn't get much information out of previous owner as he got bird totally unprepared and didn't know much, all he knew was gender and name.

But apparently he fed her sausage and wine sometimes (Very stupid idea don't do that please)

And as I'm new, I'm not entirely sure about appearance so i went to ask here. She also sheds feathers more than usually. I'm keeping to diet clean environment and time spent with her and I'm really worried for my precious little flying egg. Although she doesn't like to be touched (which makes it impossible to give her a bath) i love this bird and want to keep her well and happy
View attachment 95660
View attachment 95661
View attachment 95659
Oh my. Why would someone do such terrible things to a poor bird. I would really suggest you take her to a vet to see her condition cause im pretty sure wine is toxic to parrots and all the fat in the sausage must not be good for her, so a vet visit could be life saving at this point. I would also suggest you take her natural wood perches, some shredding toys and you make sure to feed her a healthy diet (veggies, fruits, pellets and sometimes seeds). One thing i would also suggest is you take out that mirror as it can make birds hormonaland attached to it. As for the bath you shouldnt worry, if you really think she needs one, spray some water on her but it would be better if you did that after you tame her a bit to get used to your hand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, as soon as I get a day off I'll take her to the vet!

As for diet don't worry, she gets fresh fruit and veggies daily and I make sure they are as clean as possible so she doesn't get any nasty parasites or chemicals in her

Although looking for pellets is difficult, i buy them online and always wait a week before they get to me

Could you also give me advice with what should I lay out the bottom of the cage?
As of now I've been using non toxic newspaper, giving her few layers as she likes to tear and hide under it

She also lost 2 tail feathers (i have no idea if she plucked them or if they just fell out) and that worries me the most

Her eating and drinking habits are the same
I haven't spotted anything unusual as far

She leaves the cage, sits on my shoulder, flies around and sleeps like usual

Droppings were fine when i checked last time no watery or discolored.

She is puffed up though.

Bird Cockatiel Beak Pet supply Fence

·
Registered
134 Posts
Alright, as soon as I get a day off I'll take her to the vet!

As for diet don't worry, she gets fresh fruit and veggies daily and I make sure they are as clean as possible so she doesn't get any nasty parasites or chemicals in her

Although looking for pellets is difficult, i buy them online and always wait a week before they get to me

Could you also give me advice with what should I lay out the bottom of the cage?
As of now I've been using non toxic newspaper, giving her few layers as she likes to tear and hide under it

She also lost 2 tail feathers (i have no idea if she plucked them or if they just fell out) and that worries me the most

Her eating and drinking habits are the same
I haven't spotted anything unusual as far

She leaves the cage, sits on my shoulder, flies around and sleeps like usual

Droppings were fine when i checked last time no watery or discolored.

She is puffed up though.

View attachment 95682
Personally i use sand on the bottom of the cage for my birds but non toxic news paper is more than fine.

As for the feathers she lost, i really wouldnt worry about them that much as birds lose and grow new feathers all the time, especially when moulting, so unless the vet tells you she is sick, dont worry about it too much.

Is she fluffed up all day? If she is then thats not a good sign, but if shes just fluffed up during mid day and night when shes about to fall asleep or take a nap, then its pretty normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally i use sand on the bottom of the cage for my birds but non toxic news paper is more than fine.

As for the feathers she lost, i really wouldnt worry about them that much as birds lose and grow new feathers all the time, especially when moulting, so unless the vet tells you she is sick, dont worry about it too much.

Is she fluffed up all day? If she is then thats not a good sign, but if shes just fluffed up during mid day and night when shes about to fall asleep or take a nap, then its pretty normal.
Thank you very much, I'll make sure to check on her.

Could you tell me how to tame her to my hand? Pinching my hand every time I change her water in bowl is getting a bit annoying.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thank you very much, I'll make sure to check on her.

Could you tell me how to tame her to my hand? Pinching my hand every time I change her water in bowl is getting a bit annoying.
You need to take things slow to tame her. Get a treat she really likes, i would suggest millet spray as she can eat it with a distance of your hand at first. Just feed her the millet and slowly get your hand closer to her until she can eat seeds out of your hand and eventually she will get used to your hand changing her water, although, she will still bite you sometimes so its not something you can completely get away with. Ill attach a link of a youtuber who shows how to tame and bond wuth your bird and she has more videos that could really help you in the future, as they helped me as well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts