Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had minimal sucess with my birds and vegetables. One day i was watching them shred a peice of paper when i had an idea, I thought maybe i could put some spinach in and since its flat and looks like things these birds like to shred they would shred it. But i dont know if this will work because idk if they are just shredding it or actually eating it. If there are any other tips it would help

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I'm eating it, my tiel tries to eat it. I eat a lot of veggies and feed her off my plate. She like broccoli and spinach and crunchy lettuce.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have found that perseverance helps. If I really want to introduce a new food I keep putting it in my bird's cage each day a fresh piece until eventually he tries it. Most recent example was hemp which took him 9 months to try and now he loves it. Of course he is an older bird so with a young one hopefully they will give it a go sooner, but cockatiels tend to be creatures of habit and they are often suspicious of anything new. The other thing to consider is how you are giving it. For example, I used to put broccoli florets in the cage and then I tried cutting up the broccoli in a dish. My bird prefers the cut up broccoli.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had success with green beans and broccolini my birds love these. I just poke them in the cage and they nibble them. They leave the shells of the beans and eat the parts inside but will decimate the brocolini it's easy for them to get their breaks around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts