Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I hope this post is allowed.Who here has other pets and how do your cockatiels get along with them? I have two rabbits,two guinea pigs,two cockatiels,one hamster and one dog.The rabbits,guinea pigs,and cockatiels are usually all on me at one time they all get along fine under strict supervision. P.s all of the animals are housed seperately. Do your cockatiels get along with other animals? (I mean other prey animals like rabbits not dogs and cats) Sorry if this post is not allowed.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
The post is allowed but there is always a need for caution. Rabbits carry the same bacteria in their mouths that cats do that is extremely deadly to tiels. I never let my animals interact in my household, it's just worth it to me. Everyone has a way of making things work for them.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Dogs and cats shouldn't be left with the birds as they could harm the birds. I have a cat that I left out when I was gone, feeling safe because my tiel was in her cage. Sadly for me, my cat still managed to get her paws in and killed my JoJo. Dogs also see then as prey and can hurt them badly or even kill them. Its just wise to not let them interact at all. Better to err and the safe side.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
My dog is a killer of small prey animals. She's an expert mouser! I would never trust her with my birds. My cats were clueless as to what to do with the birds, but they were a danger because of their claws and saliva. I had pet rats and I had one escape her cage 15 years ago and kill three of my birds in the bird room.

Probably the safest combo I had were the guinea pigs and the cockatiels. They just seemed to be peaceful towards each other.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a rabbit as well. I tried introducing them, Schubert in his travel cage, Meketaten in her hutch. Well, Meketaten turned her head to look at Schubert, Schubert started flapping, which scared Meketaten and she ran into the enclosed part of her hutch...

Which is probably for the best. If my pets are afraid of each other, they won't interact with each other, lol. I haven't tried getting them together since and don't really see a need to. They even see different vets (darn "exotics" that need specialized veterinarians!), so they don't travel together either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the replies,I don't let my dog interact with my other pets although I do trust him with them. I usually have two cockatiels on my shoulder,a guinea pig in each arm,and a rabbit on my lap so they don't touch either.I meant how do your cockatiels get along with PREY animals.

·
Registered
162 Posts
We have a fish as well as Elvis. Naturally, they don't interact. But my boyfriend tells people that Elvis babysits the fish when we are out of the house. Surprisingly many say "really?"

·
Registered
334 Posts
At one time I had a dog, cat and bird .. and all lived happily but separately! The dog is no longer with us, but it's Maxi and our cat.. and there is no way they will ever interact (because that would end up with Maxi getting killed!).

I think lots of caution has to be involved with different types of pets, especially when birds are in the mix. My first budgie died in an accident when our previous cat managed to get at him -- I wasn't there but it was very very quickly done, mum had no chance to stop him!

But we all know we need to be careful ..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts