Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(I did look at the FAQs, but that along with most of the other internet research I've found has to do with people who want different species in the same cage, rather than multiple-bird-species homes where the birds have their own cages, but live in the same general area)
I have a sweet, wonderful 5 month old Cockatiel who I've had since she was 8 weeks old. I recently got a young budgie. I've had cockatiels and budgies separately in the past, but never at the same time. Some resources on the internet say just keeping two different species in the same room in separate cages can cause problems--I'm hoping that is directed at owners of larger parrots--the room my birds are in is fairly large. Does anyone here have another type of parrot besides their cockatiel? What are your rules for keeping everyone calm and happy?

My cockatiel is flighted, so she could potentially fly over to my budgies cage and harass her if she wanted to. My budgie is still untame so her wings are clipped and she has to stay locked in her cage at least until she learns the step-up command--but then I'll probably let her out to play on the top of her cage as well.

Would it be too dangerous to have them both out on their cage tops at the same time? Will they each be content that they have their own little territory, or will they fight for "control of the room" as it were?

If I must I can fairly easily keep them apart from each other--I was just looking to see if anyone had first-hand accounts of how their cockatiels got along with other parrots, and what the other parrots thought of the cockatiels.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have 4 different species (cockatiels, green cheek conure, rainbow lorikeet & indian ringneck), and they all co-exist relatively harmoniously. They all get separate out-of-cage time and that really keeps everyone happy. They tend to stay off eachother's cages so that isn't a problem for me, but I put a towel over the top of all cages anyway so that if someone lands on someone else's cage, they're not seen (and possibly foot-attacked lol) by whoever is in that cage.

The only problem I have is when they call to eachother. It can get pretty loud, but it's usually only for short periods in the morning and evening. And I can usually stop it by giving them all a fruit bowl to distract them LOL.

So it just works, really. I love having so many different birds. I couldn't imagine it any other way :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
You have a 50/50 shot of having them get along. My tiel and budgie did not get along at first. I successfully calmed the fighting down by withholding treats and only feeding treats when they were together. The treats went away as soon as a fight happened. I did this for about 2 weeks straight where play time was completely about mutual cooperation to receive food. They still aren't bonded but at least they tolerate each other now.

The other thing I did was buy a second budgie. Once my budgie had a friend he stopped bugging the tiel. Between the two tactics they rarely fight anymore but I am not going to lie it was a lot of work to get them to a point where they share out of cage time.

Even though there is no real love lost between the two they do behave as a flock if one of them startles and takes flight so does the other. They will land in the same high spot and huddle until the perceived danger has passed. If one gets out of sight they will contact call the other. So there is definitely acceptance just not love.

ETA: No they don't share a cage. I would never house different species together unless I had a large walk in aviary. IMO even the larger flight cages are too small to mix bird species.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I'd be very cautious. Budgies can be bullies, especially females. I had a tiel that got knocked off my head (where he liked to perch as a baby) by a budgie and he was petrified of them since that day. When I kept my brothers budgies, they were in another room away from the tiels and I never let them together. Separate out of cage times are a good idea and if your tiel is going to be landing on the budgies cage I would recommend putting a towel on top so the budgie can't bite any toes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts