Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know college is something coming up soon for myself and a lot of other cockatiel owners. While I myself don't plan on taking my cockatiel with me when that time comes around, I was wondering what your takes are on owning a cockatiel while attending college?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I have a part time job and go to college and owning tiels has never been an issue for me but then again I'm also married so hubby helps out. You can spend time with your tiel while studying or doing homework, as they really don't take up too much space lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just finished college and had my tiels for most of that time. I had to do a lot of studying (nursing school...), but my cockatiels' cage is in the same room where my desk and books were, so I was in there with them a lot. I would also bring them out and let them sit on a play stand while I did homework. They were distracting sometimes, but we were all happy :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm a vet student and as people have already said I too get my birds out when doing work at home, they seem to cope with it fine, especially as I do spend a fair but of time at my desk. My tiel Sweep does like to try and destroy books though :p

I find that they also love travelling to and from uni in the holidays and stuff which takes about two and a half hours in the car, but I guess for some people that could be more of an issue if they have to travel further or their bird doesn't like it...

I think one of the key things is that you always need to remember and respect your birds too, if you're one for late nights out and long lies ins etc then it might not work out best for your birds as they do like to have a good routine...

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of your responses! :) I have a friend with a passion for birds, but she doesn't own any. A cockatiel would be perfect for her, but we weren't sure if it would work out with a college lifestyle. (My own cockatiel spends all day playing with family members/napping on our shoulders outside of his cage, so I wasn't exactly sure what the minimum amount of daily bonding time is.)

·
Registered
574 Posts
My/our cockatiel spends all day with family members outside of his cage too. With 7 people living here, someone is home all the time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for all of your responses! :) I have a friend with a passion for birds, but she doesn't own any. A cockatiel would be perfect for her, but we weren't sure if it would work out with a college lifestyle. (My own cockatiel spends all day playing with family members/napping on our shoulders outside of his cage, so I wasn't exactly sure what the minimum amount of daily bonding time is.)
I aim for about three hours out of cage time a day on weekdays and more on weekends for my birds, but I would say the absolute minimum would be an hour a day. Also the bigger the cage the better if they're going to be spending a long time in there. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts