Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my female 2 year old cockatiel has no interest in toys. she isnt depressed or plucking, but i have been wondering if there is any reason for this. she has many different colourful toys in her cage and i often move them around to make a new layout for her (around once a month).
I was just curious if there is any reason for this, as she is healthy and okay but does not interact with any of her toys, even her mirror. all she does really is eat and sit on her various perches while in her cage, get strangely out of her cage she does enjoy nibbling and playing with household items, such as my computer mouse or my books.
just wonder if this means anything in particular. thanks

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Some birds just don't like toys. Do you have any foraging toys for her? You could try making her those and see if that will grab her interest.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Jaid doesn't play with toys either. Not even foraging toys. He only wants to play with anything my conure has

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ideas to get a pet bird to play with toys.

1. Paper toys, crinkled paper strips, food color dyed or plain, shreddable soft cardboard toys are easy to make at home. Tie up some paper around their perch and watch this bird attack the intruder on her perch :)
2. Shreddable materials like yucca bird kabobs, balsa wood, vine rings, palm shredder toys .
3. Foraging ! Hide millet, sunflower seeds, dehydrated veges, pellets or your birds favorite foods in their toys and cactus wood perches! Create a foraging basket or tray with treats on the bottom, and some paper on top. Eventually you can add more paper and toys on top of the treats.
4. Some birds like colourful beads and bells.
5. Target training. I target trained an untame cockatiel to learn to play by first clicker training, target training his toys, so he had to bite the toy for a treat. In time he just bit the toys for fun :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts