Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys this is my second time breeding my cockatiels. Out of 5 eggs only 1 hatched on her first clutch. It has been almost a year and their baby grew up very healthy. SO now that the female wants to lay egg their baby(cookie) wont let the male get close to the nest. It's like his guarding the nest. I'm not sure if cookie is a female or male but I'm leaning towards the female side because of her features. She's just hanging around the entrance of the nest lol and poor male cant even get close. But no eggs have been laid yet. Is this a normal behavior? Will I need to take cookie out of the cage in the mean time? Or wut do you guys think about this situation?
Thank You :]

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Sounds like Cookie is causing problems. You definitely don't want any incest going on and if you want the pair to breed, removing Cookie to her own cage would be the best idea at this point.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
She will get over it. Sometimes older siblings will help out but other times they're just a bother to the breeding pair.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I agree that taking Cookie out was the best move. She probably thinks she is doing a great thing but really she's just being a pest lol.

She might be a little upset for a while but she will get over it. Giving her some extra cuddles and treats will help her get over it :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts