Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 10 month old cockatiel who had hurt himself we took him to a vet who cleaned and treated his wound and gave him a cuff to wear for 20 days so we got him home and we had to give him some medicine diluted in water but he is not drinking it and is not eating he seems a bit down and a bit sad 馃槩 how do I make him drink and be happy and feed him he does not completely trust me so you can give some tips on that but the main thing is how to keep him hydrated and well fed with the cuff the cuff is not right it can move up and down and the birds still occasionally has a drop of 2 of blood

Please advice and one of the birds has a red underline and a bald round patch
I will be very greatful

Attachments

Registered
That collar looks like it might get in the way when he tries to eat and drink. Keeping him hydrated might be a problem, but see if you can find a water bowl that has the right shape for him to get his face into it without the cuff interfering. You can try to get him to eat by holding a piece of millet spray for him to nibble on. Most cockatiels can't resist millet, and it's nice and long so he can eat it without having to get too close to your hand, and you can put it right by his beak so there's no interference from the collar.

If he eats well from your hand, you can also try offering him a drink from a human glass or a spoon. He might be afraid of these things, but if he's thirsty enough he might go ahead and drink from it anyway. If he's good about eating leafy greens, they will provide some moisture.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Well he now he only eats nicely from my hand and he drinks water because I have to force it as the water has medicine but he is learning to live with it I have to remove it after 20 days but any advice for the grey birds eye it has a red flesh underline now and it gets bigger by the day not very big but yes still and her eyes are watery could it be conjunctivitis?

Registered
My best advice is if you鈥檙e not sure and it looks like it could be illness, vet vet vet! Glad you鈥檝e solved the food/water issue, though!

Registered
We've been to the vet and he said it's fine but I still suspect
You know your tiels better than anyone, and they can鈥檛 take themselves to the vet. They rely on you! So if you鈥檙e still suspicious that there might be something going on like an illness, and you鈥檙e not satisfied with what the vet said, get them checked out again! To reiterate, you鈥檝e been to a vet about it but you鈥檙e not sure still, there鈥檚 absolutely no harm taking your bird to a different vet to get a second opinion!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts