Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Whew!....I was worried about you both all day. Thank you for the update :)

I am glad she is in good hands. She will be weak for a few days. I have experienced this 3 times in varying degrees. The one thing I did learn (and you might ask you vet to do) is that when there is any exposed tissues returned to the body, normally they put the hen on Baytril. It is not enough, and may not be completely effective. She will also need to be on pipercillin which is in injectable form. And it is also a good antibiotic especially if an infection in the oviducvt was the underlying cause.

Also, yolks form in the follicles of the ovary in sequence, so there may be more yolks for eggs forming. At this time she may be at risk of a yolk going into the abdominal cavity. In the worst case scenario if the yolk circulates into the blood stream there is risk of it going into the brain and causing a stroke. To safeguard this I have learned that aspirin (1 baby aspirin dissolved in 1 pint of water) in the drinking water helps to thin the blood and reduce the risks of this. So this is something else to ask the vet about.

As to the tissues that the vet would have put back inside her. Surprisingly the body shifts them into the proper order. I have never had this hinder a hen from future laying.

She is a beautiful Whiteface, and I hope she recovers quickly :)

May I keep one of your pix's to have on hand for a visual reference for anyone in the future that might have this problem? I have a couple prolapsed pix's but they are not as clear as yours. If so, I would like to add: Permission given by (need your name)

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
I am SO glad to hear this! It seemed so hopeless last night that I didn't think there was much chance for a happy ending but it looks like maybe everything will turn out OK after all. Thank you so much for stepping up and doing what you had to do to get medical care for her. I hope it's all smooth sailing from this point forward.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I know this is not my thread but I just wanted to say this... Thank you for being on this forum Srtiels!! :D It was really mind blowing to me how with just a little information, your mind and experience went right down to what the actually problem ended up being. If you had not led the charge for pushing on the severity of this, there could have been such a saddening outcome for this little one. So THANK YOU!! :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Oh Pam, I am sooo glad you were able to get her to the vet and have her seen about! Happy ending :) I wish her a speedy recovery with no future issues!

·
Registered
386 Posts
i've been reading this post since it was posted please let us know what happened to ur tiel, i hope she is doing better

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I lost my Zoe

I got the news I didnt really ex[ect//My Zoe died...I have been in such grief and pain this morning,as I type I can barely see threw my tears..I am beating myself up for not being wiser..I feel I lost my bird because of my stupidity!!!! That was the sweetest animal you could ever know..An ANGEL in a bird body...I will miss her very very much....Just to think I never wanted to breed,,,,,I was shocked after 7 years and she never layed and egg...and btw it was only one egg...I should of just taken her in!! I thought she was just laying an egg..Maybe if I had gotten her in there earliar she would be alive..II have 3 male cockatiels still all in separate cages...My boyfriend just went to get her body...I had to take a anxiety med..This HURTS:mad:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Zoe Pic

Whew!....I was worried about you both all day. Thank you for the update :)

I am glad she is in good hands. She will be weak for a few days. I have experienced this 3 times in varying degrees. The one thing I did learn (and you might ask you vet to do) is that when there is any exposed tissues returned to the body, normally they put the hen on Baytril. It is not enough, and may not be completely effective. She will also need to be on pipercillin which is in injectable form. And it is also a good antibiotic especially if an infection in the oviducvt was the underlying cause.

Also, yolks form in the follicles of the ovary in sequence, so there may be more yolks for eggs forming. At this time she may be at risk of a yolk going into the abdominal cavity. In the worst case scenario if the yolk circulates into the blood stream there is risk of it going into the brain and causing a stroke. To safeguard this I have learned that aspirin (1 baby aspirin dissolved in 1 pint of water) in the drinking water helps to thin the blood and reduce the risks of this. So this is something else to ask the vet about.

As to the tissues that the vet would have put back inside her. Surprisingly the body shifts them into the proper order. I have never had this hinder a hen from future laying.

She is a beautiful Whiteface, and I hope she recovers quickly :)

May I keep one of your pix's to have on hand for a visual reference for anyone in the future that might have this problem? I have a couple prolapsed pix's but they are not as clear as yours. If so, I would like to add: Permission given by (need your name)
Yes you may use her pictures to help educate people and hopefully save someones elses bird from this...!! This could not of happened to a sweeter bird then Zoe....She is now my little Angel that went to heaven..I hope when it is my time ...she will come and fly on my shoulder,,she will be miss so very much...LOVE THEM BECAUSE YOU CANT GET THEM BACK!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Yes you may use her pictures to help educate people and hopefully save someones elses bird from this...!! This could not of happened to a sweeter bird then Zoe....She is now my little Angel that went to heaven..I hope when it is my time ...she will come and fly on my shoulder,,she will be miss so very much...LOVE THEM BECAUSE YOU CANT GET THEM BACK!!
Pamela Bonilla is my name

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. :( I am sure your feathered friend knows how much you loved her and will miss her.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
((((HUGS)))) I am so sorry for your loss. Your Zoe sounds like my lutino girl named Trouble...I lost her the same way in 1995, and it still hurts to remember her.

Thanks for the use of your pix's. Your thread has encouraged me to do up alot of illustrations and to write a couple articles on female reproductive problems, causes and how to prevent them.

What happened to Zoe can happen to any mature hen regardless of age. Also the incidence can be higher with first time layers than other hens.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
I am beating myself up for not being wiser..
-------------------

Please don't....I feel just as sad and responsible because there was some words in your first posting that let me know there was a serious problem and I should have insisted for more info/pix. Still it may not have saved her. Stress and trauma can be very deliberating to out little feathered friends.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
ZOE my cockatiel

Thanks for your support..Please never stop educating..I thought I knew alot because I purchased books and read when I got my birds..Its alot of pain for my heart...See my Little Angel may help others!! She would of chirped at that with a head rub..!!

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
I'm so sorry that things turned out this way - we all wanted you and Zoe to have a happy ending. You did what seemed best to you at the time, and often there's no way to know in advance that what we should have done was something different than what we actually did. She had a very serious condition and there's no way to know whether taking her to the vet sooner would have made a difference in the outcome. Take comfort from your memories of the happy times, and know that she loved you until the end.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.