Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Oh dear.. take your bird to an Avian Vet, or else you are going to kill her if you leave it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Pics taken

Welcome to the forum... Could you take a pic of her to help us
I finally figured it out from photobucket....Zoe does not act sick and you can see she is wanting her head petted...But I am scared because it looks like the pic you posted...Please let me know what I can do Thanks..Hope everyone can see the pics..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
This is horrible ..I have no money and my credit is shot...My husband killed himself in 07...I would give her to someone who can pay to save her..This is a good bird..I dont want her to pass because of my inability to pay!!I would do anything to help her..IT IS NOT BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO..I am not afraid to handle or touch her..I am just worried because of my situation now I am going to lose my bird....I AM VERY UPSET!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
She does not appear to be in any pain but her eyes look half shut..I just do not know what is normal..I will see if I can get a pic..
Hi Pam, eyes half shut means she's in pain and not well. She will try to act normal as to not draw attention to herself, but she isn't feeling normal at all. As everyone is saying, get her to the vet as soon as you can - it looks like they will need to surgically remove the egg. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You need to keep the tissues moist until you can get the bird to a vet. The tissue will die if it dries out. My guess is that the egg IS involved in this so it's not a do it yourself job.
How do I keep the tissues moist ??

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
The Care Credit website at http://www.carecredit.com/ can help you locate an avian vet in your area. Under Find a Doctor, select Veterinary in the middle box, then Veterinary Other in the third box. This will bring up a fourth box that lets you select Avian, or After Hours/24 hours. You need a vet who is experienced with birds though, a typical dog and cat vet might not be able to help you.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
This is horrible ..I have no money and my credit is shot...My husband killed himself in 07...I would give her to someone who can pay to save her..This is a good bird..I dont want her to pass because of my inability to pay!!I would do anything to help her..IT IS NOT BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO..I am not afraid to handle or touch her..I am just worried because of my situation now I am going to lose my bird....I AM VERY UPSET!
If you truly cannot afford vet care, then you may need to surrender her to someone who can get her the proper care. If this is not treated very soon, she will die. I am not saying that to be harsh, it is simply true. Are there any rescues in your area? Would the vet accept a payment plan? Honestly, if this were my bird, I would show up at the vet and just beg them to consider the situation. I think it would be hard for them to refuse help.

Here is a previous thread where srtiels describes how to keep the tissue moist: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=20655&highlight=prolapse
HOWEVER, since the egg seems to be contained within the prolapse in your bird, PLEASE DO NOT try to push it back inside of her. If the egg breaks, she will be in even more serious condition.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
How do I keep the tissues moist ??
I have no experience so I'm having to web search for answers. There are some recommendations at http://www.holisticbird.org/pages/hens.htm Do NOT do the part where it says to reinsert the tissues with a cotton swab - if an egg is protruding from the body along with the uterine tissue you will break the egg and that will make things worse. I have also seen recommendations to use saline solution and to moisten the area with warm wet cloth. If this was my bird I would mist the area as they suggest in that link.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Here is a previous thread where srtiels describes how to keep the tissue moist: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread...light=prolapse
HOWEVER, since the egg seems to be contained within the prolapse in your bird, PLEASE DO NOT try to push it back inside of her. If the egg breaks, she will be in even more serious condition.
Thank you enigma731!! I tried searching for srtiels advice on our forum but didn't find this thread.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
If you truly cannot afford vet care, then you may need to surrender her to someone who can get her the proper care. If this is not treated very soon, she will die. I am not saying that to be harsh, it is simply true. Are there any rescues in your area? Would the vet accept a payment plan? Honestly, if this were my bird, I would show up at the vet and just beg them to consider the situation. I think it would be hard for them to refuse help.

Here is a previous thread where srtiels describes how to keep the tissue moist: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=20655&highlight=prolapse
I have no problem surrendering my BIRD to save her..!! I am in complete distress...and can not stand the ideal that this sweet bird is hurting..I have been on PC trying to find out first if anything was wrong..I have never seen birds lay eggs and did not know anything about the process..I did not want to breed!! I thought with a nest out of the cage , she would not have a place to lay ....Dumb I know now!!! But again I have had her 7 years never laid an egg before..So I will do anything to save this sweet bird..
Some people on here sound rude about my situation...!! I love my bird just as much as anyone and will do what I have to do! But I have been threw **** and back...Now the loss of my bird is scaring me..I will drive anywhere to save Zoe..I just do not have money!! I did when my husband was alive and we purchased her..But he died and I have one adult disabled son now to care for....I need help..Im typing and crying hating to be in this situation..My bird is suffering because of me..I hate it!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Sorry...I fell asleep :(

What is going on is a prolapse of the uterus, the worst kind. It appears that she has impacted a couple eggs together. How this happens is her body was not carrying enough calcium in her blood stream while the egg was in the uterus....which is the shell gland. When there is not enough calcium on the surface of the egg which the yolk and contents are contained in a sac of membrane then this membrane adheres to the uterine wall. The next egg comes down the oviduct and breaks, and the membrane adheres to this. Again the body tries to release calcium to make the shell forming a grossly oversized mass. The uterus contracts trying to expell this from the body. Since the insufficient calcium on the egg surface is drier than as normally layed shell it sticks to the tissue, and as the hen strains to lay the tissue of the uterus and oviduct is expelled with the egg encasing it in the tissue.

The half closed eyes are pain.

The tissue MUST be kept moist. Take a tissue wet with warm water and blot it several times an hour. If it dries to encased egg then the tissue loses blood blow, and makes it harder for a vet to take care of this.

DO NOT try to break the egg or cut this from the bird, she will go into immediate shock and die. This is not a simple repair like just the tissue exposed which can be inserted back in the body. A vet would have to carefully implode the egg, and make a small incision to remove the shell and membrane. If tissue is still healthy it is reinserted in the body.

Worst case scenario a vet would have to do a birdie hysterectomy....which involves removing the whole oviduct including the ovaries.

In addition to what is going on there is a good chance that more eggs might be forming. OR an ectopic egg happening...which could be from a tear in the oviduct (resulting from the impaction) and the succeeding egg matter and yolk getting deposited into the abdominal cavity causing peritonitis.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Just some quick thoughts in regards to vets, and your financial situation. As others posted there is Care Credit.

But, many bird rescues or wildlife rehabers have either a vet on the premises or access to one immediately.....so you might be able to check with them. Many wildlife rehabbers have experience with avians.

When phoning anyone you need to tell them you have is a prolapse of the uterus (some will also call it oviduct) which has a mass of potentialy several impacted eggs incased within the tissue sticking/exposed out of the vent. This is a true emergency, and you can explain your situation, but phoning anyone local explain your bird needs help ASAP.

((((HUGS)))) I know how you feel, I have been there and it is a frightening experience. Please keep us posted, and I emailed you with my phone # if you need to talk.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
I enlarged and edited one of your pix with a little of an explanation of what is going on (click for a larger view)

At the time of you taking the pix the tissue is very healthy looking, and still blood flow thru it. Hopefully this AM the color is still good like this and there is a kind vet/soul that will see her. IF they have an email, you can copy and save this pix to for them to see prior to going in...

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
ok all..I got her into a vet this morning..She had one egg and they extracted it..Did xray and the Dr said she was so sweet ,they didnt need anethesia for her..She is in gaurded condition..It did dry out some , they soaked it and got it out..She is now being watched and hopefully she will be ok..They will send her home with antibiotics...Thanks to Angelmommy for the offer of money..I appreciated it much..But I managed..Had a hard time finding a vet though..Didnt sleep much last night..Thank you all for help on this ...Please pray for her if you are a believer..

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Thats so good to hear! Im so glad you got her to the vet in time! Im sending good thoughts your way and I really hope she makes a full recovery:)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
This is really good news! Thank you for taking Srtiels' advice on this one. We will also be thinking of you guys! Keep us updated. :)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Yay! We were all so worried for your baby!

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.