Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am totally freaked out! Please someone help me!! I have had my cockatiel for 6 years now..I have 4..I have all in separate cages except for my female and a male together..I thought if I didnt put a nest in the cage ,she would not lay eggs..
I know stupid rookie here...I noticed she was fluffed alittle on her back..So I thought my ZOE is not feeling good..I pulled her out of the cage to hold her and comfort her...Thats when I noticed she had something where she poops...and it looks like and egg...I was shocked...I notice too that she has a string of mucous coming out of that area....What do I do..?? I made a box for her and I got her vitamins and cooked her an egg etc..What is normal and what is not?? I dont want my bird dying..Im scared to death..I read on the internet they can egg bind...I hope this is not the case because I do not have money for a vet ..I am a widow and I am on limited finances...Please can someone help me..?? I do not want to lose my beautiful bird..or is this normal ? If she gets threw this I am putting her in a cage by herself!!:(

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum :)

Please read: http://www.talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=27124 In the link it suggests to use the search box, which will give you a listing of past postings and what others have done. Here is one example: http://www.talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=2678

This link explains the importance of calcium (AND FSL lighting is essential): http://www.talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=19866

Even if you can not afford a vet there may be other options: http://www.talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=26919

Posting clear pix's of the eggs, and any other concerns would be very helpful.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whats Normal I need HELP??

I am literally freaking out ever since I read about egg bind...What is normal when a cockatiel has eggs in her?????....How long does it take to expell the first egg? I have only had my birds for 7 years..This is the first time my girl has ever had eggs in her...I seen it yesterday she had what looked like an egg not protruding ..now today it is protruding alot more..Is this the way they lay eggs..I do not have a clue..Am I worrying for No reason? WHAT IS NORMAL....I did not want to breed...I just dont want this to kill my sweet bird..I just need to know whats a normal process..How long should that egg be protruding before it is not a good thing..:confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ZOE my cockatiel

I noticed today she has more of what looks like an egg protuding more..She is also sitting on the bottom of the cage..She is fluffed up but not breathing heavy ...Her being fluffed up is what made me concered she was ill..This was a couple of days ago...then yester day we saw the bulg coming from her butt area..I looked today and it is out more...I have no clue how birds have babies..She is 7 and ,she has never laid an egg.I just want to know what is normal...I would take a pic..But she is on the bottom of cage..Im afraid it will disturb the egg laying...I never wanted to breed....I am just really worried for my sweet bird.....I am praying...:eek:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
My hen usually has visible egg bum for 2 days. The first day it is noticeable but not as large.. second day it is larger. There will also be a change in her poop. Really LARGE droppings/clumps. My advice would be that if you do NOT see any of this *egg poop* to take her to an Avian Vet asap. If you do find this egg poop.. I would expect an egg probably tomorrow at the latest. If no egg tomorrow.. I think again I would suggest a run to an Avian Vet. But yes, this egg bum is normal when a hen is getting ready to lay.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ZOE my cockatiel

Thank you..I feel somewhat better...I am not sure if I see larger bird poop as she is in the cage with another bird..I did see a string of mucous that looked like it had poop in it coming from the butt area..:confused:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I just matched up your post with your others. Please do as the others who responded to your post asked and post pics of her as there could be other issues at play. Also, please post those pics under the other thread and continue with your questions under the other thread. It can get quite confusing for you to have new threads everywhere. :) There are some very experienced people on here, so if you answer their questions they can guide you along.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
I noticed today she has more of what looks like an egg protuding more.

These are only thoughts of your problem, since you have not posted pix's...

Worst case scenario...
With fingers crossed I hope you do not mean something like this? (click for a larger view) In the first pix this is a prolapse of the uterus encasing an egg in the tissue. This is serious and would put her her at a 95% death rate if not seen by a vet. There are some things you can do.....but need more info, if this is what you have.

The 2nd pix shows peritonitus. Look at the hen on the perch, if your hens abdomen looks alot smaller than that then this would not be the immediate problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
We can't really help you figure out what's going on if you don't help us by answering our questions. Please continue following your other thread; respond to questions that others have asked, and post pictures of your bird's bum.

We don't ask questions to waste your time or make you think about unnecessary things. We ask questions to better understand what is going on with your bird. We have the bird's best interest at heart and we find it difficult to respond properly to posts when people cannot show us pictures or answer the important questions.

This can be a life or death situation for you bird...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She does not appear to be in any pain but her eyes look half shut..I just do not know what is normal..I will see if I can get a pic..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took pics

Now I have to figure out how to post them..Please reply and let me know..Mean while I will be looking on here on how to post pictures..

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
If you really care about your bird then please, either post a picture here ASAP or take her to the vet ASAP. If there is actually anything wrong then her life may be at stake, and we can't do anything for you without good pictures that show what's happening. The word descriptions haven't been clear enough. If there is anything unusual that is actually sticking out of her vent then it sounds like a prolapse, which can be fixed if it's treated promptly, but the longer you delay the more difficult the situation will become.

Edited to add: the photos were posted in a different thread at the exact same time I made this post. After I found out I merged the two threads, so it all looks a little crazy. The photos are now in the post above this one.

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
I'm not an expert on thes things but that does not look normal. It's probably a prolapse but I don't know for sure. srtiels is an expert on these things but it's very late and she may have gone to bed. This is something that she posted earlier:

"If it is a prolapse the most important thing that needs to be done is she has to keep the tissue moist and not allow to dry out. if it dries out it is not repairable. She can't be wishy washy to not try to handle the bird. She has to see what is going on.

If it is a normal prolapse without the egg incased it is easily fixed at home, which I have done several times and could describe."

Do you have access to an emergency avian vet? If this was my bird I would take her in right away.

P.S. Having two different threads to look at is making it difficult to keep tabs on the situation. I'm going to try and merge this one with the other one.

·
Registered
330 Posts
That's what it is... Take your bird to the vet ASAP or it can kill her. Is there a vet you can hav her seen by tomorrow on an emergency basis? I am sure you could work pympts out? most are willing to do what they can to help people out. Please Pam you need to have this baby seen IMMEDIATELY! I am not an expert by any means but based on the photos srtiels posted, that is what you have going on.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.