Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

im new here….I just had to tell other cockatiel lovers this insane story !
so we have a young cockatiel got him as a hand raised baby just over a year ago …he doesn’t have clipped wings and apart from bed time when he goes to sleep is free flying around the house as he chooses …visits going from person to person and just has fun all day …sure it’s messy but he has a much fuller life than if he was trapped in a cage ..
straight away in the morning he comes out and starts doing his thing right up until we go to bed …funny to this day he still resents bed time …goes and visits his cage all day long for food water or the occasional serenade to us but the second you close that gate he’s not a happy camper …he is quite the character our little cookie !
I have been trying to slowly harness train him so I can take him out for long walks but have not been successful ..there is no way I will force him to wear one ..it’s only if he chooses to let me put it on has to be his choice I refuse to make him do anything it’s his life to decide…just figured I could provide a lot more enrichment to his life if I could take him everywhere to see the sights..
so last night I decided I was going to take my motorcycle about 20 kms away to have a bit of a ride and get some fuel from the cheap station ..it was night the roads were quiet so I was going to have a bit of a run……got on my bike tore off into the night and intermittently heard chirps at traffic light stops and thought to myself that sounded like the chirps Cookie makes but it didn’t really register to me …on the way to the station I heard about 3 or 4 of these mainly when I stopped at a light…
got to the station fueled the bike and some containers went inside to pay and the attendant looks at me and goes nice bird ..so thought to myself what the **** is he talking about …he then says does he always go for motorbike rides with you ? …..I nearly freakin fell over! I was speechless for a second and said is there a bird on my shoulder ? He said yeah he’s sitting right there !
My motorcycle jacket is thick so I can’t feel him if he jumps on it being such a small light bird ..and with the helmet on I couldn’t see him !
I was not riding slow and this is a big powerful bike wouldn’t have been a smooth steady trip I was doing over 100 kms for legs of this journey and some how little cookie held on ! This jacket is leather nothing to grip onto …I have no idea how he did it ! Just simply unbelievable really ! I almost think he may of fallen off and flown behind me and landed back on me when I stopped at lights ..can’t figure out any other way he could of made it..
Turns out he jumped on my shoulder as I went out the door and no one realised ..about 30 seconds after I found out he was there my uncle called on the phone frantically stating that cookie was missing !
so now how the **** do I get him home safely? ..I’m not taking the risk of him riding my shoulder home we are just so lucky as it is he is still with us ….I won’t put him in the dark panier to scare him to death ! I considered leaving the bike at the station and calling an Uber and just taking him home .then Uber back to the bike.. but the station was closing and he said I couldn’t leave the bike there…
in the end the attendant got me a big box that had multiple potato chip bags in it …had 4 big holes one in each side of the box for air and so he could see out but he couldn’t get out through them …put my neck scarf in there so he could smell me …dunno if birds do that or not ? Put some tissues in there as well and taped a stick to the bottom so he had a little perch in there to hold onto ….taped the box shut and strapped it to the top of my tank which is about chest level for me when riding ….I rode home very slowly avoiding all bumps and talking to him the whole way as my face with the helmet visor open was close to the box holes ….he stayed calm just looked out the windows and seemed to actually enjoy the ride !
Was so relieved when he was home safely !
We now have a new system when I leave where we double and triple check cookie is not on me before I go out!
What a crazy event and we are just so lucky to still have cookie with us our motorcycle riding daredevil !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea are birds kind of like dogs and cats where they recognise the owners smell or it doesn’t work like for birds ? Anyone have any idea? I find them to be the most amazing and fascinating little pets ! So much character and personality in this tiny little package haha they are just the best ! This little cockatiel has every but as much character as a maccaw I once knew very well ! I always thought cockatiels would be kind of like budgies never realised how they are much more like a big parrot and just full of personality like they are !

·
Registered
44 Posts
My bird Rodan follows me all over the house. When I go outside he sits in the window and does search calls. I whistle back from below in the court yard and he responds. In the morning he flies off the perch and lands on me getting up. Your bird quit possibly could be the coolest Tiel yet…….live to ride and ride to live! Oh yeah!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are just the best little birds ! Those search calls are so cute it’s like why where are you hey come back ! It really seems like these little birds really really really love their people! It’s so endearing !

you know my family and I have. Been discussing this whole motorcycle thing for days since it happened …as it’s so unbelievable….

I don’t ride a usual tame bike I have a souped up bmw k1200r it’s one **** of a beast, more like a frickin tomcat fighter jet than a bike… was the most powerful naked bike in the world when it launched 170 + HP …..0-60 in 2.6 seconds and sounds like a pack of angry lambos going down the street and I’m one of those people where my only outlet left in life is my bike as I have physical disabilities from being crushed years ago and it’s the only way I can let lose anymore as my body no longer works so I use it to de stress and blow off steam and feel alive again ……so i time my trips for when the roads are empty crank on the tunes and ride if you know what I mean! I never speed but I get up to those limits really quick so it was definately not a tame ride for our little cookie!
So point being the bike is loud angry and I don’t ride slow …I log all my rides and top speeds…. on the ride cookie took I briefly jumped on a hwy for a short hop 1 exit and the speed limit for the highway was 110 and I was doing 110 kms …let’s just say I dunno how the **** a little bird can hold on at that speed and not just that I was wearing a leather jacket which has nothing to grip onto .. unlike my mesh jacket which has hundreds of little holes this one is slick with nothing to hook his claws into !
‘so yeah I have no idea in **** how he stayed on there ….I almost think he hung on like **** then kept falling off flying behind me and landing back on my shoulder at lights …luck would have it I hit every single red light and had to stop constantly ! The chirps I heard along the way which didn’t register was actually cookie were all at lights and one of cookies habits is to let out a specific chirp when he lands on you which is what these sounded like when I think back!
so I really think he may of been falling off tearing behind me , “luck would have it I kept stopping “ and landing back on my shoulder and hanging in as long as he could and rinse and repeat! Just lucky I was only on the highway for a very brief jaunt and had to stop at the light on the off-ramp …
honestly I find it horrifying this happened and will make sure it never happens again ..but so so wish I had someone’s dash cam video of it like it was a different time of day and someone caught and posted it type deal as it’s just amazing he stayed with me somehow….a simply unreal unlikely feat that should go down in the record books ! We are so so so very lucky to still have cookie with us after this !
live to ride indeed ! Now I’m paranoid whenever I leave the house ….. I could not of handled it if we lost cookie it would have become my life’s purpose and mission to find him quickly Where nothing else matters! It was a large area we covered would have been terrible ! I shudder when I think about it …him out there alone and scared he’s not a pet he’s family …horrible thought !

·
Registered
44 Posts
They are just the best little birds ! Those search calls are so cute it’s like why where are you hey come back ! It really seems like these little birds really really really love their people! It’s so endearing !

you know my family and I have. Been discussing this whole motorcycle thing for days since it happened …as it’s so unbelievable….

I don’t ride a usual tame bike I have a souped up bmw k1200r it’s one **** of a beast, more like a frickin tomcat fighter jet than a bike… was the most powerful naked bike in the world when it launched 170 + HP …..0-60 in 2.6 seconds and sounds like a pack of angry lambos going down the street and I’m one of those people where my only outlet left in life is my bike as I have physical disabilities from being crushed years ago and it’s the only way I can let lose anymore as my body no longer works so I use it to de stress and blow off steam and feel alive again ……so i time my trips for when the roads are empty crank on the tunes and ride if you know what I mean! I never speed but I get up to those limits really quick so it was definately not a tame ride for our little cookie!
So point being the bike is loud angry and I don’t ride slow …I log all my rides and top speeds…. on the ride cookie took I briefly jumped on a hwy for a short hop 1 exit and the speed limit for the highway was 110 and I was doing 110 kms …let’s just say I dunno how the **** a little bird can hold on at that speed and not just that I was wearing a leather jacket which has nothing to grip onto .. unlike my mesh jacket which has hundreds of little holes this one is slick with nothing to hook his claws into !
‘so yeah I have no idea in ** how he stayed on there ….I almost think he hung on like ** then kept falling off flying behind me and landing back on my shoulder at lights …luck would have it I hit every single red light and had to stop constantly ! The chirps I heard along the way which didn’t register was actually cookie were all at lights and one of cookies habits is to let out a specific chirp when he lands on you which is what these sounded like when I think back!
so I really think he may of been falling off tearing behind me , “luck would have it I kept stopping “ and landing back on my shoulder and hanging in as long as he could and rinse and repeat! Just lucky I was only on the highway for a very brief jaunt and had to stop at the light on the off-ramp …
honestly I find it horrifying this happened and will make sure it never happens again ..but so so wish I had someone’s dash cam video of it like it was a different time of day and someone caught and posted it type deal as it’s just amazing he stayed with me somehow….a simply unreal unlikely feat that should go down in the record books ! We are so so so very lucky to still have cookie with us after this !
live to ride indeed ! Now I’m paranoid whenever I leave the house ….. I could not of handled it if we lost cookie it would have become my life’s purpose and mission to find him quickly Where nothing else matters! It was a large area we covered would have been terrible ! I shudder when I think about it …him out there alone and scared he’s not a pet he’s family …horrible thought !
I was thinking he had to be on behind your head or shoulder clinging on for dear life with those mini talons. My Rodan definitely has predominant Dino genes so perhaps this is the case with yours…..ah the raptor in me!!!! Go faster master, I love it!!!!! I can see it in my head……

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
779 Posts
That is one of the coolest stories I've ever read on this website regarding you and Cookie! Aside from the amazing motorcycle trip, I admire how you go out of your way to give him his freedom rather than being in a cage all day. I WISH I could do that but I have to be a little more cautious with 11 tiels and 4 sun conures! Oh I do have my favorites but I love them all as much as the other. Just not sure any of them would be up for a trip like yours!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Lol raptortiel I love it ! Your probably right maybe he did hide behind the helmet and hang onto my neck scarf ! Sounds more likely than flying behind me At 110 kmph!

wow Robert 11 little ones ! Yeah if you let them all fly free your home would be more an aviary than a home haha the amount of mess 1 tiel makes is simply amazing , he likes to just destroy and shred everything and make as much mess as possible hahah mix that with the 20 poops a day …now x that by 11 ..absolute mayhem haha
I had a sun conure for several years but in the end went to a very loving couple as my fiancé told me its either me or the bird ..one of us has to go …In hindsight I really wish I kept Kikko instead of Lisa haha
that little conure had so much personality he was something else and looked quite mental when he bathed haha he would just dangle off of you with one claw and go along everywhere ..he was awesome!
well my friend you really love your birds good on ya for providing an amazing home for 11 little souls :) you obviously really love your flock!

many people look at pet ownership as a way to enrich their lives …to me pet ownership is the opposite you are blessed with the love of this little being and it’s your responsibility to provide the best life and care possible for them it’s serious business ….I can’t stand people that look at pets as possessions or accessories ! Their pet is not a being too them but something to show off with or to make their lives better somehow …unfortunately it seems many people are this way …tye stories you hear from the pandemic where so many people got pets so they are not so bored and then just disposed of them filling the animal shelters once life became more normal and they didn’t want the extra problem or effort to care for these animals that are now attached to them..something is seriously wrong with our species overall !

I also have an older cat she is around 18 now and has health problems ..she is the reason we make cookie sleep in the cage at night as while we are around she doesn’t bother him but I don’t trust her when we are not there to not hurt him.
being 18 she has health problems and is a real challenge to keep healthy for the last few years ..she has chronic ibs and kidney problems ..so feeding her is really expensive and difficult …I was so disgusted with my vet on our last visit as gypsy was having a. Chronic ibs attack and going to the bathroom all over the house 5 x per day …tye vet suggested putting her to sleep multiple times so cleaning after her is not so difficult…so with us humans we go to extreme lengths to keep someone alive but if an animal gets problematic they are disposable and should Be just put to sleep once things Are difficult so it’s easier for the human ..as if their lives are less valuable just because they are not as smart as us …this attitude disgusts me! Turns out i got her through her attack and she has been relatively healthy enjoying life for over 6 months now since the vets 3 x suggested murdering her for a stomach ache ! Todays disposable world animals to some or seems many are also disposable …

I know earlier in this post I mentioned I did something similar to what I just raved about finding our little conure a new home once he was well and truly attached to us ….I am not proud of many of my actions in my youth and. A big regret was actually being one of those people that had given up an animal once …..at least I searched for months with interviews and made sure he went to a very good home ….now I would never give up an animal companion for any reason a partners ultimatum or anything else …had to get a bit older and more aware to wisen up….

we still don’t know if cookie is male or female … the pet shop said he was a male ..but every now and then he does this thing where you tickle his back and he does these little chirp things while leaning forward which someone said was a female thing …figured if anyone would know how to tell it would be you guys…
he doesn’t copy talk or mimick at all …is about a year and 3 months old ..has had 1 molt so far …anyone have any idea how to tell?

below a pic of cookie…if there is veggies or food safe for him to eat in a meal cookie just must be permitted to also dig in or we face a hissy fit ! then a pic of kikko the sun conure after one of his baths….

Bird Food Yellow Table Beak

Bird Beak Phasianidae Rangpur Chicken

·
Registered
44 Posts
My cat passed at 18 years and three weeks. I think we have very similar views regarding our pets. ET from China
You are absolutely correct, they depend on us, and the behavior of some owners also disgusts me to the core. Such as tying to compare Avian behavior to human behavior, thinking that their bird has problems just because of something they cannot understand. Fly free my friend, the pic of Kikko is priceless. Have a graphic artist make a picture of you on the bike with the bird facing the wind in a pair of aviator goggles…..oh yeah!

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
779 Posts
Rszarka, Here is a photo of 7 of the 11 tiels just chillen and hanging out! Second photo is the conure 3 stooges! This is an older pic before we got the second female.
Brown Bird Vertebrate Wood Interior design
Hand Eye Bird Beak Organism

1 - 10 of 10 Posts