Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! a pearl pied split male, who I've named apollo, i raised is currently 9 weeks old and he was doing great! up until 3 days ago, he was eating pellets, seeds, and millet all on his own. He is currently getting a mix of roudy bush, tropical carnival cockatiel pellets, sensible seed, and a bit of conure food. He also used to happily take all food from his bowl and from my hand.

However, in the past few days, he has been rejecting all food that isn't from his mom. (His dad has stopped feeding him) I will try and give him millet, pellets, all of what he used to eat fine, and he will hold it for a few seconds before dropping it or throwing it.

He has even stopped eating millet. I've tried fruits, veggies, he has almost completely stopped eating on his own.

Why would this happen, and how can i fix it so he can wean properly?
He is clipped, as he was a great flier until he ran into a window and a wall and broke a few blood feathers on his chest.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
He'll settle down and start feeding himself again. He'll have to, because his mother won't be willing to feed him forever! Between his accident and the fact that dad has stopped feeding him, he might be feeling a little insecure right now and he wants mom to comfort him. Try holding some millet spray in your hand for him to nibble on - it will help if the adult birds are nibbling on it too. He can't drop the spray since you'll be the one holding it, so he'll have more time to think about taking a bite.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts