Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My cockatiel, Lucy, started vomiting yesterday night (around 10pm). She's two years old. I took her to an emergency avian vet right away. They told us her that her vitals looked good, she looked good, and gave us two different treatment options. We went with the medicine the vet recommended (to help stop the vomiting). They gave Lucy fluids, two shots of the medicine, and sent us with five days worth of the medicine to give her orally.

Here's my concern/question...

I gave Lucy the medicine this morning, and that was fine. She has eaten a little, not much, but has not thrown up (as far as I know). BUT, she has been sleeping way more than normal today in the corner of her cage at the bottom. She was not doing this before I took her to the vet yesterday. She's a little quirky and does sleep down there sometimes, just not as much as she has today. She gets small bursts of energy where she acts very normal, and then goes back to sleep in her little corner. Do you think it's just because she's so exhausted from the stress of it all (going to the vet, being sick, taking medicine, etc.)? Or do you think her sickness is progressing and that I should take her in again? Or maybe I should just continue to keep a close eye on her?

If anyone has experienced something like this before, or has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I just want her to feel better, and I'm trying as hard as I can to do that.

Thanks so much. <3

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum.

What medicine did they give her and do you know if the vet tested her crop for yeast? They can get a nasty yeasty crop which usually causes them to vomit continuously and they can't keep any food or water down. One of my hens has had it before and she had to stay at the vet's for a week and was given daily antibiotics and antifungal meds via crop needle. If she vomits again, take her straight back to the vet.

But yes medication can be harsh on them, especially antibiotics and it can make them feel unwell and act sluggish. I would monitor her very closely and when the course of meds is up and you don't see an improvement or you think she's taken a turn for the worse, take her back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for responding!

They gave her metoclopramide in two injections at the vet, and then sent me home with 10 doses of the metoclopramide syrup in .09 ML per syringe. I have to give it to her every 12 hours for 5 days.

I know the vet talked to us about her crop, and said that their was nothing wrong with it. She didn't seem concerned about that. But, if she doesn't get better, I will definitely bring that up!

Thankfully, I was able to monitor her very closely yesterday and she did not throw up. She ate a little, but not a normal amount. VERY sleepy.

Hopefully, she will make a gradual improvement. She's definitely not 100%, but it does not seem like she's getting worse (she's eating today! Yay!).

Thank you for your advice/experience. I'll keep watching her to see how she does!

Hello there and welcome to the forum.

What medicine did they give her and do you know if the vet tested her crop for yeast? They can get a nasty yeasty crop which usually causes them to vomit continuously and they can't keep any food or water down. One of my hens has had it before and she had to stay at the vet's for a week and was given daily antibiotics and antifungal meds via crop needle. If she vomits again, take her straight back to the vet.

But yes medication can be harsh on them, especially antibiotics and it can make them feel unwell and act sluggish. I would monitor her very closely and when the course of meds is up and you don't see an improvement or you think she's taken a turn for the worse, take her back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.