Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my little 2 month baby Coco has become incredibly attached to me, probably my fault fussing over her (she is incredibly cute) but at the same time I made sure to put her in her cage sometimes and encourage her to play with her toys so I know she can entertain herself if ever I go out for a short amount of time...... Buuuuuut she's far more interested in me, which is great!! However, it's at the point where I can't go to the toilet without her zooming after me or going mad because she can't see me haha, I do whistle back to her to reassure her I'm there but that's not good enough :S I'm stuck as to what to do because I don't want my baby to be upset or think I'm scolding her by trying to get her to play with her toys more on her own but I just cannot do anything!!! please help :(

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
too attached

That's sweet that she is so attached to you! My female cockatiel was like that, too. In fact, I had a friend tell me: "I always thought a bird dog was a kind of dog, but your bird follows you like a dog!" :) I'm not really sure if there is anything you could do. I certainly wouldn't scold her. Maybe try positive reinforcement, like, going into the bathroom(or somewhere else out of sight) and not coming out until she is quiet. If you can, reward her for being quiet, maybe with a tidbit of millet. If you re-appear because she is making a fuss, she will think that her chirping and squawking will work in getting you to come out.
There are people on the forum far more experienced with cockatiels than I am. I hope someone can give you some advice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's sweet that she is so attached to you! My female cockatiel was like that, too. In fact, I had a friend tell me: "I always thought a bird dog was a kind of dog, but your bird follows you like a dog!"
I'm not really sure if there is anything you could do. I certainly wouldn't scold her. Maybe try positive reinforcement
Thank you for the advice, and bird dog sounds funny hahaha that's cute! I'm definitely not scolding her or wanting to either I just feel like she's not appreciating me trying to get her to play with her toys and sees it that way because I'm taking her away from things she'd rather be doing all the time such as sitting with me! Which is absolutely fine, but like I said when I need to go out I worry she'll hurt herself trying to get out to me :( but the positive reinforcement idea sounds great!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts