Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice. We have had our cockatiel for about a year now. We worked really hard to train her and it took some time but she became very comfortable stepping up, riding on our shoulder, sitting with us and getting scritches. In the past month, she has really reverted back to her old behavior of not wanting to step up, especially out of her cage, and now will fly away the moment she steps up. We don’t clip her feathers and her flying isn’t a problem, but it makes it almost impossible for me to get her out and get her to stay on my finger. The extra component is that she is acting totally normal with my partner. No problem stepping up on her or anything. If my partner sets her on my shoulder or with me on the couch it is no problem (not acting like she’s scared of me) but she just won’t step up for me. I can still give her head scritches too. I have tried to revert back to target training/clicker training her but it feels like she and I are almost back to square one. Both of us think she is basically playing a game of flying away from me and me chasing her to get her to step up (eventually she does) but it is getting really old for me and frustrating that she doesn’t do it with my partner. Does anyone have any advice of how to break this behavior? Should I focus back on clicker/target training her? I used to be able to get her to step up no problem so I just really want to get back there. She also seems to get more moody in the winter and with the shorter days but it just feels very directed towards me right now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe something you did scared her. For some birds all it takes is a sudden arm swing, or maybe something dropped on the floor and made a loud sound that you didn't necessarily notice but the bird did. Often times something happens we don't even know happened that scared the bird. Defiantly go back to the training, even if she thinks flying off your hand is some sort of new, super fun game, she will, as most birds are, be more interested in the treats she receives from doing a good job. She isn't scared of you, she is probably scared of your hand right now due to some unforeseen sound, movement, or a mix of both. Or she really could think of it as a game. Parrots like it when their humans react to stuff; they think it's hilarious to watch us pull our hair out when ever they do something. Don't give up on having a relationship with her all she needs is a little re-training and she should probably be fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts