Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently got a new tiel and i have been trying to tame him. at first whenever i put my hand in his cage he would fly around like a maniac but after some time and taming attempts i managed to get him on my finger whenever i say step up (most of the time). he is very resistant to leave his cage and will make small angry noises but i manage after a while. he goes on my shoulder and he lets me pick him up but he is usually aggresive for some strange reason. he will never let me scritch his neck put he lets me pet his back. he started to try to bite his budgie friend when it gets too close (touching) but sometimes they sleep together. i dont know if he is fully tamed or he just dosent like humans because i know that he knows that im not dangerous. its just that i dont think he likes humans for some reason or that he is agitated because of something.
ive asked for help before and i managed to make him "not scared" he is just too attached to his cage and he has flown into the window before as if trying to escape. he refuses to eat any vegetables too and i need to know how to get him to eat some

Attachments

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Don't force him and go at his pace. He is giving you obvious signs (like aggression and angry noises) that he doesn't like what you are doing and that you are moving too fast with him, and if you keep at it while he is already agitated it is counter-productive. Open his cage door and let him venture out on his own instead of forcing him to come out. Step back a bit and let him get used to his surroundings before trying to work with him.

Check out this thread on taming/training and this one which explains food bribery. You may find some helpful tips in those 2 articles. There are also many articles in the Sticky Library on taming and bonding with your 'tiel.

Do you have a mesh curtain on your window? This is recommended as it prevents them from hitting the window at full force which can cause serious injuries and they grip onto the mesh instead.

For vegetables, start with some broccoli florets finely chopped so that they are a similar size to seeds and sprinkle some over his seed. You can try shredded carrots this way too, and also peas and corn. Peg some leafy greens such as silverbeet or spinach in his cage so he has constant access to it. Don't worry too much if he won't try any new foods yet though as he is probably still settling into his new environment and it can take a while for them to warm up to new things.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't force him and go at his pace. He is giving you obvious signs (like aggression and angry noises) that he doesn't like what you are doing and that you are moving too fast with him, and if you keep at it while he is already agitated it is counter-productive. Open his cage door and let him venture out on his own instead of forcing him to come out. Step back a bit and let him get used to his surroundings before trying to work with him.

Check out this thread on taming/training and this one which explains food bribery. You may find some helpful tips in those 2 articles. There are also many articles in the Sticky Library on taming and bonding with your 'tiel.

Do you have a mesh curtain on your window? This is recommended as it prevents them from hitting the window at full force which can cause serious injuries and they grip onto the mesh instead.

For vegetables, start with some broccoli florets finely chopped so that they are a similar size to seeds and sprinkle some over his seed. You can try shredded carrots this way too, and also peas and corn. Peg some leafy greens such as silverbeet or spinach in his cage so he has constant access to it. Don't worry too much if he won't try any new foods yet though as he is probably still settling into his new environment and it can take a while for them to warm up to new things.

i dont have a mesh curtain on my window but there is a mesh screen behind it. the window is a door with a black opening and closing screen door.

i leave his cage open at all times exept at night and he is so resistant to leave his cage im pretty sure he wont ever leave it. i have a door on top of the cage where i can place a perch on and he is ok sitting there as long as he is with his cage. will he ever decide to leave his cage?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
You need to put something over the bare glass to prevent injuries and to give him something to grip onto if he does fly into it.

He will leave his cage in his own time, just be patient and I'm sure he will eventually. The open top perch is a great idea. To him, his cage is his safe place so he has to feel secure enough in his environment before he is brave enough to venture beyond his cage, which is totally normal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to put something over the bare glass to prevent injuries and to give him something to grip onto if he does fly into it.

He will leave his cage in his own time, just be patient and I'm sure he will eventually. The open top perch is a great idea. To him, his cage is his safe place so he has to feel secure enough in his environment before he is brave enough to venture beyond his cage, which is totally normal.

i also have a playground that he kind of enjoys being in. he sits with his budgie friend that sometimes he seems to communicate with (cockatiel chirp then budgie chirp then cockatiel chirp and then budgie chirp and so on). there is nothing i can put on my window but i could keep it open so he could grip onto the screen. unfortunatly one of his toenails is missing so i dont know if he can grip very well

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
That's great, it sounds like he's getting on well with his budgie friend. If your budgie is bolder and more adventurous than your 'tiel, that should help build his confidence and help him to come out of his shell too.

They can still get around fine with one missing toenail. Even 'tiels that are missing a couple of toes still manage to climb and grip things well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts