Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I have a month old cockatiel who screams (begging for food TV/static noise) quite often. He(?) doesn't screech when he's in the cage, only after I let him out and he starts to waddle around up my shoulder. After he has climbed up my shoulder, he screeches for a good 3 minutes more before settling down.

From what I have read, it could be that he is asking for attention but somehow it doesn't seem like the case here... He isn't hungry either.

Any idea what may be the issue?

Thank you in advance for all your help! :)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
He's a baby and just vocalizing in a baby way, I have 3 babies that will be a month old at the end of this week, one (female) is very quiet and content, she hardly makes that static sound even when hungry she patiently waits her turn. The 2 boys however never stop making that static noise, before I feed them, they make while I feed them and even once full they keep up the static ... they would eat til they burst too if I let them...lol once in the brooder they settle down after a few minutes and nap.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Is your baby weaned? If so it sounds like he was force weaned early. You might consider hand feeding him again until he self weans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Is your baby weaned? If so it sounds like he was force weaned early. You might consider hand feeding him again until he self weans.

Aa month old I highly doubt this baby is weaned... mine will be 4 weeks old this week and they are no where near weaned, they are just starting to pick at their bedding ( I changed to oats for that reason) and spray millet.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Wow that will teach me to answer so quickly! Ok I admit I was in a rush and didn't catch the age; you are correct he would NOT be weaned at that age *facepalm* and yes that's a normal baby "feed me" noise lol and cockatiels don't always know when they are full. But I am wondering; at a month old he isn't in a cage alone, is he? He has a cage with nest box and parents or is in a brooder?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for not having been more specific, he is in a brooder!

Also thank you for your replies, it was just rather alarming because even when he's fed he still continues to make that screeching sound so I wasn't sure if this was normal behavior.

Thank you again for the replies!! :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Babies will make that noise even when they aren't hungry because they have learned that when they make that noise they get attention. Also, at this point, it's probably the only noise he knows how to make.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts