Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My baby Gizmo has returned home after escaping during a cage clean. He was found 5 miles away from home on the day of escape and handed in to the animal welfare league here.

When I went in to pick him up he was his usual self and chirping loudly when I walked in sight and climbed up for scratches and kisses as soon as I got him out the cage he was held in. When we got home, he flew around, sat on me, and then went into his cage. Since then, he has not really wanted to leave his cage. He has been sitting in the top corner, sometimes chatting to his favourite toy He did a couple of laps of cage, almost to check all his stuff was still there, but hasn't wanted to come out.

He is eating, and drinking like normal and seems in good health. I will be taking him to vet this afternoon for a checkup, but he still jumps around cage and humps a perch like normal, so think he has gotten through the ordeal unscathed.

But, I just want to know from anbody who has had a tiel that maybe experienced a traumatic experience, do they take a while to bounce back? Since being home, Gizmo has not wanted out of cage, and often has been sitting in top corner on top of a rope toy facing away from everybody. Is he just exhausted, shook from his ordeal? I am giving him time, just walking to him softly and whistling his tunes back to him. But has no desire to jump on anybodys hand and come out to say hello. I don't want him to be too scared to venture out of the cage again. Any tips on helping him bounce back to his usual over the top friendly self?

·
Registered
786 Posts
No experience here, but I would think he is still a bit shaken from the whole ordeal. You never know if people treated him badly or maybe tried to grab him. My bet is that after a week or two he will gradually get back into his old self and want to come to you. In the meantime, maybe just treat him like you now are and let him be reassured. Maybe even a treat to get on your hand?
Definitely a vet check in order... Congratulations on his return!

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
I clean my cages inside the house and if I was doing it outside which I dont I would leave the birds in the house until their cage is finished getting cleaned the door shouldnt be open outside in the first place.How exactly did he escape?

·
Registered
786 Posts
What matters is that Gizmo is back, Brandon. Everyone is entitled to a mistake now and then. Even you.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
What matters is that Gizmo is back, Brandon. Everyone is entitled to a mistake now and then. Even you.
I know im just saying how could u even open the door knowing your bird is in there I know Rocko wouldnt fly away from me though but I wouldnt take the risk.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Thank goodness Gizmo is home now, safe and sound. You and him both are extremely lucky. His behaviour sounds normal for what he has been through, I'd say he'll be back to his normal self in a week or so. How long has it been since he was returned to you? Best of luck with the vet visit, I hope he's okay. :)

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'm so glad that you got him back!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Awe, I am sure his very traumatized by it, and I think he is clinging on to what he is knows is safe. He was handled by people and probably captured for his safety in a less than familiar way, and it likely scared him really badly. But the fact that he is home with you is the best thing that could have ever happened. He knows he is home and he probably needs to time to get over this. I think he will come around. Your heart sounds very big and that will help him. So glad you got him back. I am sure you couldn't be happier to have him.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am sure he will be perfectly fine. It's amazing how domesticated and happy they are in their own surroundings. Out there is a big nasty world. He's probably just trying to relax. If I show Oscar up to the back door and a bee comes near on the other side of the glass he gets all jumpy and rushes to the other shoulder. He does the same thing if he is sat in the window and a fly or other small flying thing comes near, he flies off around the room.

Now, multiply that up by a factor of several hundred and all the things he will have come into contact with and you will understand what he is thinking. Right now he is just trying to relax and get his normal routine back in place.

Whilst most people on here are well meaning, there do seem to be some that are paranoid in the extreme.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we got home from vet and he is all good. just a few feathers a bit out of place. He is coming around pretty quickly. Just sitting in vet he kept rubbing head head on top of travel cage to get scratches. Just happy he home. looking forward to weekend and big day of play!

When just changing papers and scrubbing grate he usually sits on his toy in corner. Every Saturday morning we play fetch on the bed and have a big fly. This Saturday I went to work, and there was no play. Cage was cleaned, was just reaching into bottom corner, it's a flight cage so decent size, to grab his basketball and he hoped on my arm and ran onto my shoulder. He was just getting ready to play ball, as me picking it up is usually game on. This weekends game is definitely scheduled back indoors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Soooo glad you got him back. Must have been so stressful. He's shaken up I guess and needs time to calm down. Just like if it happened to us! We are kidnapped for a week - no idea where we are or where we can get food or love - but now back home. Give him time, love him lots and again - so happy you got him back! xx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts