Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I have a one year old tiel now, he’s rather finnicky at the best times, and he’s really starting to scare me.
i have tried to swap him to pellets over and over for his own health and he refuses to eat. Just starves himself. Won’t eat fruit or veggies or anything other than millet and seeds.
Ive done absolutely everything in my power to try and get him to eat like a normal bird and he just... wont
im so scared of him getting hurt and sick because i know he will, but after pressure from my mother to leave him be and him starving himself, im at a loss.
recently, he’s been more aggressive and has poop on the end of his tail (pretty normal, he likes to swim in a little water bowl and make a mess) he’s been itching too, like excessively preening.

i love him more than anything, and i just really don’t know what to do. ive decided to 100% change his diet now, he’s being dramatic. I’m not going to let him get sicker.
ive been aiding him in his bad behavior and I take full responsibility for that- i just cant figure it out.
this is my second bird and i adore him- I don’t want to do any harm to him in the slightest, i want to be the best owner i can! but i just dont know what to do.
-please don’t bash on me in the comments- I’m really rather sensitive and I’m trying to do my best, i take responsibility for my mistakes completely
I need advice.

Thanks in advance-

·
Registered
165 Posts
Can't help you with pellet switching.
But, pooping on tail is NOT normal. Cockatiel does not swim in water bowel, he just want to bath in water bowel. Give him a big and shallow water bowel, so you can bath himself. This will help him relief himself itching problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My tiel Finn is suuuuuper picky. He hates everything that's not a seed. I'm in the process of changing him from seeds to pellets now and it has been a struggle. The only way I got him to start eating a few pellets was to sprinkle them on the ground so when he's foraging he picks them up and eats them. He refuses to eat them if they're in a bowl haha. I've tried Harrison's and Finn didn't seem to like those, so I switched to Roudybush mini pellets and those were the ones that he's start to eat off the floor. I've also read that if you have a designated treat dish that you should try to put the pellets in there so that your bird knows it's something yummy.

Just keep an eye on your bird's poop to make sure he's eating as you start to switch him over. Finn has been experiencing some watery poos as a result of the diet change. If he eats seeds it's a normal greenish coil, if he eats pellets it's watery and less coiled. I'm sure that will change once he's on a more balanced diet.

Also, it's a stressful time switching out a bird's diet so it's normal for them to be a bit grumpy when they're not getting those high fat treats they're used to. Just keep at it. It's what's best for them in the long run!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not all birds like pellets. I tried and had no luck so I just feed them seeds, oats and human food. Some treats like Millets, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds open with no salt. They did the same and ignore the pellets. I leave them in the cage, but they rarely tough them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I completely understand! My adopted bird will only eat the junk seed he is used to. I’m introducing new and healthier options by mixing it in. It takes a long time. Be patient. But please do not stop his old food in the meantime. It’s the only food he trusts. A bird will actually starve if they are unfamiliar with new food. Just keep mixing new food in. Eventually he may like it. He may not. My budgie who I also adopted from the same lady had the same problem. Now he is finally eating more pellets!!! He still won’t eat fresh food but I made progress after 7 months of throwing away uneaten pellets. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts