Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cockatiel pair. The female comes to me whenever she wishes. Climbs on my head, sings to me but the male is still so scared of everyone and everything. I have tried bonding with him but nothing seems to work. Sometimes he will eat feom my hand and the next second he will get extremely scared of what he just did. How can i bond with him? Also they seem to hate their cage and do not consider it their home. My budgies will go back to their cage but cockatiel prefer to sleep outside whenever they get chance. How can i make them understand that their cage is their home?

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
749 Posts
First of all, are you SURE it's the female that's singing to you? In MOST cases, it's the male that does the singing and whistling. Either way, if the other bird is eatting out of your hand, that's a GOOD start. You didn't mention how long you've had these birds but since you mention them not lking there cage......I'm going to guess you haven't had them long. It sounds like a case of them getting use to you AND there cage. It simply takes more time than some people like for a bird to bond with a human so just give them time and be patient.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had them for 3 months now. They are lutino cockatiel and the patch on one's cheek is dark and on the other's its light. So i assumed their gender with this. But both my birds sing and whistle and hop around.

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
749 Posts
If BOTH are singing and whistling, it sure sounds like you have TWO males. That might explain why the one bird is having more problems seattling down. They haven't bonded yet as cage mates ( Yes, two males or females ) can do that and it could be hormonal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts