Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey so as you guys know, I'm new here. I don't have a cockatiel but was planning to get one. So I wanted an easy bird that is really cuddly/affectionate, and read that cockatiels are like that. But I also read that Conures are even more cuddly birds. So now I'm stuck with, cockatiel or conure or quaker? Quakers seem cool too. Which of these 3 is the most cuddly, easiest to tame? More brave and not as afraid of people? I already have budgies just to let you know. I really want a bird that will be more cuddly unlike budgies since they don't like to be petted etc. I'm most likely gonna get the bird off of Craigslist which is already tame, but just in case I don't I want to know which is easier to tame and which is more cuddly. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Well being on a cockatiel forum the answer you're most likely to get is cockatiel. It really all depends on the bird. Every bird is different but your best bet for a "cuddly" bird is a handfed baby. Have you tried going to bird stores and handling the birds you're interested in?

·
Registered
507 Posts
If you want a pet to cuddle, get a cat or dog ;)

Parrots are only a few generations removed from the wild and don't live to please humans. Physical touching like cuddling and petting are usually reserved for intimate moments. It's very common for people to mistakenly sexually stimulate their parrots with excessive touching. The last thing you want (trust me) is a parrot whom thinks you're its mate. Setting unrealistic expectations will leave you disappointed. There's so much more to parrot ownership than the cuddles.

That said, my tiels both love head and neck scratches. They're as "cuddly" as it gets. Green cheeks are a little different and might prefer to lay in the crook of your elbow or lean against your cheek. Quakers are generally more independent and not touchy.

·
Registered
885 Posts
My green cheek was only really cuddly and affectionate when it suited him, which was usually when it was cold and he just wanted some of my body heat lol. He enjoyed the odd scritch every now and then but he was a pretty independent bird. He was also quite bossy and assertive. Not so much aggressive, but he used his beak to get what he wanted from time to time.

I don't know anything about quakers so no advice on that. I'd probably go with a cockatiel :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Conures tend to like snuggling more. The white bellied conure in, in particular, I've seen millions of videos of them rolling over onto their backs simply for fun. However, conures have a worse bite and are much louder.

Cockatiels are definetly one of the easiest birds to train and handle, but they have their pros and cons just like every pet in existance :p

Quakers do pretty well too. In my personal experience, if you show a quaker love, you will get loved back. But, like conures, these guys have a bigger bite than 'tiels and they can be LOUD. A bit off topic, but pretty cute: we have a Quaker at the rescue named Jade who used to sing "I'm so baaad, I'm so baaad" when she wanted attention :)

All in all, I would do a lot of research on the individual species before making your decision. This is a great place to get the pros and cons on cockatiels because the people here are all tiel owners or are likely going to be. An all parrot forum would be a good place to ask owners about the differences, or you can do research online, or you can visit a rescue or a vet (avian certified preferred, always) and talk to someone there.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My green cheek is my cuddliest and quietest bird. She very rarely leaves my shoulder when she is out and then it is to either fly to my hubby for a visit or if she is spooked she circles and lands on me again. She rarely bites but can bite hard is she gets in a mood, she is not a morning bird... I don't particularly care for quakers, they are funny and talk well but the one I know is moody and bitey.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My son had a green cheek years ago and he had the worst mood swings. I find cockatiels to be much calmer but it depends on the bird and the person.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I guess not a quaker but I hope to either get a hand raised bird or a tamed one that's getting rehomed. Thanks for the answers. So it basically depend son the bird so I'll jave to see for myself? I found a breeder that has conures, cockatiels, love birds, parakeets, macaws, and i dian ringnecks so I'm hoping to pick one out.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I feel like it's always best to let the bird choose you. Rather than pick a species, pick a personality. Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel like it's always best to let the bird choose you. Rather than pick a species, pick a personality. Good luck!
Yeah I guess I'll pick from what he has hatched, does anyone know when conure and cockatiels are fully weaned on their own from their parent? He lets his birds be raised by three parents so in how many week would try very weaned? He said they are weaned by their own parents around 6 weeks. Is that so?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yeah I guess I'll pick from what he has hatched, does anyone know when conure and cockatiels are fully weaned on their own from their parent? He lets his birds be raised by three parents so in how many week would try very weaned? He said they are weaned by their own parents around 6 weeks. Is that so?

6 weeks is too young to be fully weaned... 9-12 weeks in my opinion for tiels not sure with greenies but about the same I believe.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
9-12 weeks is normal. Birds start going off on their own at 6 weeks and trying new foods but still rely on the parents for some feedings during this time. Not sure about conures though, you might be better off asking about them on talkparrots.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I almost ended up with a GCC myself... however they do have a bigger beak meaning they require a great deal more caution when they are moody. They are louder by several factors than a tiel, the upside is they are a bit more curious / active than tiels.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I almost ended up with a GCC myself... however they do have a bigger beak meaning they require a great deal more caution when they are moody. They are louder by several factors than a tiel, the upside is they are a bit more curious / active than tiels.
My tiels are much much louder than my green cheek... She is a very quiet bird although the pitch of her chirp is very shrill.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Conures are like puppies in the sense that they like to explore and get into EVERYTHING. I basically had to baby proof my house when I got Bandit because if there was a crevice left uncovered he would find it. I accidentally left the downstairs bathroom door open and there is a gap in the window recess where the stairs are (hard to explain) and Bandit managed to find it and crawl in there and I could not get him to come out.

I was terrified he would eat something bad or get bitten by something! He was in there for two days. My landlord was about to organize someone to come in and break whenever needed to be broken to get him out. He came out on his own while she was on the phone to the guy lmao. Little brat.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Conures are like puppies in the sense that they like to explore and get into EVERYTHING. I basically had to baby proof my house when I got Bandit because if there was a crevice left uncovered he would find it.
I would love a bird with a bit more curiosity, to me it'd be worth baby-proofing. Kirby doesn't explore or really play much, he just sits and preens. I still love him to pieces either way, though :love:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I've got a baby at a breeder that is being hand tamed for me while it is being weaned.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts