Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I'm new to the forum, and just love Cockatiels! I've had Cockatiel's all of my life beginning at age 6 and it took that very first one to change my life and steal my heart!

At the moment, I have a beautiful one year and 3 month old Cinn. Pearl. She's a white face. I had hand fed her since she was two weeks. However, this odd Tiel had developed an "odd" behavior. I've never seen this behavior in a Tiel and I was hoping that just maybe someone out there has faced the same situation and can enlighten me as to why she's doing what she's doing.

She's very healthy, and active. On a day to day basis, she's always moving, and is very playful. She's a "free-flight" bird, and can enter her cage when she wishes to. However, she usually stays on top where she eat's and sleeps. One can say; she has the run of the house. Living alone, she's with me most of the time. I give her attention every day, and try to feed her a well balanced diet of some scrambled egg's (for pro. since she won't eat beans) and Cockatiel pellot's for vitamins). She's never given seed, just only as a treat, and is given mullet from time to time.

However, this tiel isn't your ordinary tiel. It seems as if she tries to feed her cage. Yes, feed her cage. So happens, when she finishes eating (That doesn't happen everytime she eat's, but most of the time) she climbs down to her open cage door. She walks to the edge of the door where the latch is found sticking up, then puts her beak over it, then act's as if she's feeding her cage by placing her beak on it, then regurgitating a little seed on it. She sit's there for about 30 second's or so, then climb's back to the top of her cage. I've never seen this bahavior in a tiel before. I have a few picture's I'll link to you to show you exactly what she's doing.

Any information would be helpful so I can further understand this odd behavior.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o188/Zeerith/100_0108.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o188/Zeerith/100_0107.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o188/Zeerith/100_0106.jpg

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! :D Your tiel is gorgeous, what's her name?

Cockatiels will feed objects the way you described when they feel an attachment to them. Many birds feed their favourite toys. :p I can't honestly say i've heard of a bird feeding it's cage before, but at least the behaviour itself isn't unusual. :lol: As long as she's not losing weight from over feeding the cage, i can't see that it's a problem. She's doing it intentionally and bringing up whole seeds so she's definitely regurgitating and not vomitting.

·
Registered
799 Posts
shes a very cute little bird the main reason is that shes very affectionate towards her cage. also you said it was on the latch of the cage it probably associates this with coming out of the cage so it probably has chosen this as a friend lol

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
She is really beautiful :D She must love her cage :p If she is not losing weight I would not worry about it. Do you have a gram scale to weigh her with? it is best to weigh before they eat at the same time about once a week.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Hi there welcome to the forum, your tiel is adorable :D I know they will feed objects they become attached to but I have never heard of one feeding there cage, it must be a really nice cage :p

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Welcome to the site! She's beautiful by the way. Like the others said, she's become attatched to her cage..I haven't seen this either in tiels but one of my budgies likes to feed the other budgie in the mirror...:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts